General
Medical errors: Negligence leads to patient mix-up

Medical errors: Negligence leads to patient mix-up

Shared by:

Medical errors are dangerous, and may also result in the death of patients. While some errors stem from honest mistakes, oftentimes they are a result of negligence by healthcare professionals to comply with procedural guidelines.

today.mims.com

27 Dec 2016 - General

This is not a surprising scenario as medical errors has been increasing over time. One of the reasons would be failure of counter checking and passing by the standard/correct way of readjng orders, carrying out orders and most especially identifying ...
 (Total 101 words)
In order to avoid negligence, cross checking can be done by different healthcare professionals to ensure that no mistakes are made. They can double-check with each other about proposed treatment or drug prescriptions, and if deemed inappropriate chan...
 (Total 52 words)
Patient mix-ups can lead to a number of severe consequences, for example of giving the wrong blood product to incorrect patient. It is a medical negligence that can leads to significant morbidity and mortality of patients. I believe that all of the ...
 (Total 56 words)
In order to avoid patient mix-ups, healthcare workers should use standard patient identifiers. As far as I know, the Joint Commission International recommends to use at least two identifiers. In my workplace, we usually confirm this by asking the pat...
 (Total 65 words)
I have known some cases in our hospital that a certain medication was given to a wrong patient. Like what Kathleen Peralta said, checking the identity of the patient is often missed out. Th...
 (Total 65 words)
"Identifying a patient with their full name and date of birth" -- a very basic step and yet some of us tend to skip this process thinking that someone already did that check or simply because we have forgotten to do it. Recently, I heard ab...
 (Total 71 words)
Medical negligence can be serious crime and the scope of such mistakes doesn't apply for doctors and other healthcare staff. Any mistake in the healthcare sector can affect a life and cases like that mentioned in the article may even lead to the ...
 (Total 91 words)
Madhubabu kaaja negligence is quite common. I remember one incident where I was requesting for both chest and hip radiograph. The procedures to be done were ticked and encircled so it cannot...
 (Total 72 words)
Medical errors- A never expected errors but can happen as we are humans. Some times a serious events has rises due to medical errors. At least 14 cases of medical errors have occurred at health facilities in Massachusetts since 2011, of which at leas...
 (Total 68 words)