General
Obesity, sugar tax, and the role of the pharmacist

Obesity, sugar tax, and the role of the pharmacist

Shared by:

The trend of setting taxes on sugar in the last few years signifies the dedication among government bodies in many developed and developing countries in combating the issue of sugar overconsumption. What is the pharmacist's role in this battle?

today.mims.com

29 Dec 2016 - General

Though imposing taxes may be a good idea to curb consumption of sugary food and beverages, I agree that other strategies have to be sued first. Maybe the national health departments can require food companies who manufacture such foods and beverages ...
 (Total 55 words)
Imposing taxes to push the campaign on obesity has been a hot topic these past few days. Not only for Singapore but for Philippines too. However a recent article in the Philippines regarding taxation of sugarly beverages had received several comments...
 (Total 93 words)
Theekshana Abayawickrama I agree with your opinion regarding this matter. It is true that junk foods and sugary food products are cheaper than nutritious food products, and this can be enco...
 (Total 59 words)
Taxing sugar based food is just one thing that officials can do to fight the burden of obesity. But in my opinion it is not the most effective, nor the wisest thing to do. Poverty is also a main problem in the asian region, so when we increase the pr...
 (Total 71 words)
It is evident that obesity is a global epidemic. However, I don't think that imposing more taxed on sugar will solve this problem. In my opinion, it might be more effective to put appropriate levels with regards to sugar content of commonly consu...
 (Total 68 words)
The pharmacist plays an important role in the area of management of obesity and the establishment of the sugar tax. Many medicines that are dispensed in the form of syrup have sugars and may eventually aggravate the condition of obesity, if the medic...
 (Total 74 words)