General
Listening to music while performing surgeries – relaxing or distracting?

Listening to music while performing surgeries – relaxing or distracting?

Shared by:

Above the beeping of monitors, the clanging of instruments, shuffling of feet and bellowing of orders there is a harmonious tune being played. From Symphony No. 9 to Smoke on the water, the surgeon can be cutting to his or her own set of beats. Listening to music during surgery may not be a norm in Asian countries, so let's take a look at some of the pros and cons to this.

today.mims.com

31 Dec 2016 - General

Jemelyn Mae Sodusta Definitely music decreases stress levels. If music is allowed to be played in nurses' stations in different hospitals I think a volume level would just be needed to be implemented and probably limit music that doesn't have profanity in it. Outside the institutions I work in I have experienced some playing very loud party type music, during the night shift mind you, which definitely sho...
 (Total 126 words)
Music therapy can be helpful for some but otherwise to others. Just like what we have done during our duty shift 2 years ago. We asked each of our patients if they want us to play music. There are some that actually agreed on the idea, however there are some that wanted a quite environment. Therefore, we can't generalized the idea of music therapy in healthcare settings. If it is allowed in our institution, i would like to play music during my duty shift because it is more relaxing and make ...
 (Total 95 words)
Madhubabu kaaja: I agree with you about how the OR team is large and not all have the same music preference. So far the ones who played music during their surgeries were part of a selected OR team with similar tastes. Usually there are regular teams and aside from knowing each others techniques you know as well their music preference. When it comes to research work or reading I do prefer silence but if I need to d...
 (Total 90 words)
Music therapy has been tested and proven over time to be effective in healing and showing positive results in healthcare. I remember during college days, during our operating room exposure wherein surgeons and anesthesiologist would turn their music on, usually upbeat to wake them up and maintain the atmosphere in the operating room. Also when we were student nurses, not just in operating rooms but also in the emergency rooms, wards and private rooms we tend to sing for our patients. Several res...
 (Total 147 words)
Jennifer Winter Is this allowed as well in the hospitals here? :) I almost requested for classical music to be played during my scheduled CS three weeks ago at PCDH to calm my nerves, haha. Anyway, great article! Music could actually enhance concentration but again, it’s really up to the personal preferences of the surgeon and the OR staff, and as long as it does not adversely affect the outcomes of the operatio...
 (Total 83 words)
I am happy to see you posting self written post here. Music relaxes our mind and accelerates our speed both here have to consider pros and cons. Majorly I did not prefer music while performing some surgeries or at research work which can takes away the performance activity and can divert our mind where required our faster analysing and interpretation skill in severe cases. Moreover the operation team consists of 10+ members may not like or fit to same music at all times then how can we choose mu...
 (Total 125 words)