General
Nursing staff negligence of ventilator alarm led to death of elderly patient

Nursing staff negligence of ventilator alarm led to death of elderly patient

Shared by:

Three nursing staff from a nursing home were arrested and charged for first-degree endangering the welfare of a vulnerable elderly person after they failed to respond to a patient’s ventilator alarm, which led to her death.

today.mims.com

31 Dec 2016 - General

I think they also have to investigate why the nurses ignored the alarms. Also, if the facility was understaffed or maybe they were attending to other patients? We all know that negligence in the medical field can pose very serious harm, but in all instances, we also have to check all possible angles and reasons for such situations. I agree with Shunjie Chua that interventions have to be strengthened to overcome...
 (Total 77 words)
There is actually nothing novel about this article. The topic of concern here is called "alarm fatigue" which has been thoroughly researched in recent years by the nursing research community(i.e. I find it interesting that the article goes on without mentioning this). As much as Priscilla Mae Gobuyan shifts most of the blame on humans, we should understand that humans are fallible, interventions should...
 (Total 71 words)