General
Is a work-life balance impossible for doctors?

Is a work-life balance impossible for doctors?

Shared by:

Dr. Karen Sibert, an anaesthesiologist, stated that if one was looking for a work-life balance, a job in journalism or professional cooking, or law would be a better option compared to being a doctor. But is a work-life balance unattainable for doctors?

today.mims.com

4 Jan 2017 - General

When you have balance between your work and life than you will have perfect life. Thanks for sharing your views Kathleen Peralta , Mark Edmon Tan , Heena Pohani , ...
 (Total 36 words)
I admire doctors who were able to find that work-life balance given that their profession requires most of their time, especially during intern/residency days. Or is it busier after that? Jennifer Winter Mark Edmon Tan Marinelle Castro

Li...
 (Total 84 words)
Marinelle Castro Yes in residency training it is hard to find that work-life balance as we don't control our time. I find myself extending hours or even having to return to the hospital to assist in surgeries even off duty. Though it eats up my personal life I try to make the best out of it. If face all these extensions with a sour puss attitude my balance will be highly thrown off. ...
 (Total 108 words)
Like what Jennifer Winter said, I also think that work-life balance is possible. However, this actually depends on several factors which can directly affect time management and priorities. For resident trainees like myself, at present, a work-life balance is impossible because of the required training hours. However, for consultants who have the liberty to set clinic hours and workload, I think that work-life bal...
 (Total 80 words)
I agree with you Jennifer Winter , Tahira Nawaz , and Jemelyn Mae Sodusta . Work-life balance hinges on time management. Staying focused at work helps one finish work early, leave on time, and have enough energy to participate in activities at home...
 (Total 68 words)
Work-life balance as a doctor is plausible as long as you know when to turn it off. I have been juggling in between being a husband, a father, and a doctor for more than three years now and I know how difficult it is. However, my advice for everyone would be to give attention where it is due. It would be inappropriate to obsess over a patient's condition inside the house because one should have meticulously done all the things that could be done in the hospital. Harmony lies in ability to wo...
 (Total 104 words)
That is true Tahira Nawaz . I agree with your point. Balancing between life and work is just a matter of management. Just like what Dc. Jennifer Winter said, it is all in the mind. You just have to set your goals to prepare and to dedicate yourself onto that to make it all possible. For me, i always find time to have fun with lov...
 (Total 91 words)