General

Good Patient Care

Created by:

4 Jan 2017 - General

We often discuss problems encountered in the clinics. However, we should also take note that there are a lot of positive things happening in our daily grind. One of them is often known in the Philippines as good patient care where patients bring a little something for the healthcare professionals (HCP). It usually often indicates that patients are very happy with the service rendered by the HCP. My favorite amongst the tokens of appreciation is fruits brought by patients from the province. Having experienced living in the province during the summer as a child, I appreciate the fact that patients bring in the best harvest as their token of gratitude. My most memorable good patient care story though is the sweet old woman who bought me a Big Mac when I was on duty on the eve of my birthday. What made it special was that the woman remembered my special day and insisted on taking her token of gratitude despite her financial struggles. It is the most special burger I will probably ever have. For the MIMS community, what would be your fond recollection of good patient care? 

Marinelle Castro Thank you for sharing your story. The good patient care story you shared has an extra personal touch. Patients are really grateful to those who provide optimal care. Tahira Nawaz Great to read your story too. Thank you for your contribution. Doctors are lucky to still have their supply of Kino despite the winter s...
 (Total 105 words)
Mark Edmon Tan It feels good when a patient appreciates for the work. The appreciation can be in any form blessings from elderly patients, a smile from the paediatric patient or a token of gift in any form. The most memorable one for me is recently a patient bought a certificate of appreciation. It is a properly designed certificate that is awarded to the doctor for the quality of care. The certificate has been f...
 (Total 86 words)
Mark Edmon Tan In our region, it is customary for patients to give a token of appreciation for doctors and nurses. It is common for patients to send over food in doctor's offices or nurse stations for the healthcare team to enjoy. I also recall the mother of my patient who took notice of a copy of reader's digest in my coat pocket. She asked me if I regularly read it, and I told her that I do whenever I ...
 (Total 104 words)
When I was a child villagers are used to come to my father's clinic and whenever they recovered from their sickness they used to gift some local fruits and fishes. That is their greatness on what we have shown and my father is so happy for their early recovery and there is no chance to refuse their gifts. That small gift touches our soul and feeling at that time is unexplainable. Mark Edmon Tan you probably a...
 (Total 100 words)
That is actually the most precious gift we can ever recieve from our patients, their sense of appreciation and gratitude. I am happy to share my experiences too. In our unit, we are only 9 nurses who are shifting in the schedule and most of our patients know us very well, (since most of them had a longer stay in our unit.) I remember those times when our patients is to be discharge from hospital premises, they give us a piece of cake and a card stating that they are really thankful from the care...
 (Total 154 words)