General
Greater transparency urged after 8-year-old dies from wrong drug prescription
 

Greater transparency urged after 8-year-old dies from wrong drug prescription

Shared by:

 
A Canadian child who was meant to be prescribed with a sleep medication to help with his parasomnia was instead given a muscle relaxant drug used to treat conditions such as multiple sclerosis, resulting in his death.
 
today.mims.com
 
6 Jan 2017 - General
 
These are horrifying realities in the medical world. Though it was not the pharmacist intention to have combined or dispensed a wrong drug, still they are still liable for the error. If I'm not mistaken, there is a quality assurance team or someone who's checking the stocks. This is to ensure that it is safe, up to date and will not cause harm to the consumers. The story is simply a sad story for the innocent bot who is supposedly only asking a remedy for his parasomnia. But for a mistak...
 (Total 137 words)
As mentioned in the article, the error in the narrated case is a combination of preparation and dispensing error. Although it was not mentioned as to how the pharmacist made the grave mistake, I cannot help but wonder if it is standard for all pharmacies to have a senior pharmacist who has the task of double checking all manually prepared medications and dispensed medications. Would like to ask the pharmacists in the community to inform us of safety checks in drug preparation and dispensing. ...
 (Total 90 words)