General

Giving Proper Instructions to Patients

Created by:

6 Jan 2017 - General

I would like to share with the group an experience my collegue had with his patient in a charity out-patient clinic in a renowned hospital here in the Philippines. The patient had a local skin infection for which Mupirocin ointment to be applied thrice a day for 5 days was prescribed. A week later, patient came back for follow-up without resolution of his skin infection. My collegue asked him if he was compliant with the regimen and he said that he bought the medicine and "took" it for 5 days as recommended. He added that the taste of the medicine was too unbearable that he even ate it with some bread. This story might seem to be hilarious to many of us but let this be a reminder for all medical practitioners in the group to reiterate to our patients proper medical instructions and make sure that they understand them. Do you have similar experiences as such which you could share to the group? 

Madhubabu kaaja , Jemelyn Mae Sodusta , Marinelle Castro Thank you all for sharing your thoughts about the topic. Everyone agrees that more time should be alloted for explaining treatment plans to the patient. Thank you for stressing that incidents ...
 (Total 57 words)