General
Can doctors refuse to treat trans people or women who have had abortions?

Can doctors refuse to treat trans people or women who have had abortions?

Shared by:

A US District judge has ruled over a section of the Affordable Care Act, which stops doctors from discriminating against patients due to gender identity or those who have had abortions. Thus, doctors can now refuse a patient due to their personal religious beliefs.

today.mims.com

7 Jan 2017 - General

Thank you all for posting your point of view about the topic Mahmoud AbdelAziz , Elangovan Antony , Mark Edmon Tan , Heena Pohani and ...
 (Total 28 words)
Medicine is a profession in which although boundaries may be there for the doctor to practice in a different country, still the doctor doesn't exercise any discrimination among his patients, in any terms : religion, care, sex or even medically compromised condition like AIDS.Mahmoud AbdelAziz I agree with your opinion that a doctor can refuse to treat a patient of he is not skilled or doesn't have expert...
 (Total 101 words)
Turning away patients is only permissible for professional reasons. For instance, if their conditions are out of our scope of practice OR if there is a blatant breach to the doctor-patient relationship like physical or verbal abuse where it carries a direct threat to the doctor. I don’t find anything against Islamic values to treat such patients. It is totally the opposite Tahira Nawaz . It is entirely unislamic ...
 (Total 89 words)
Tahira Nawaz
Discrimination not just in medical field, is very common problem we are facing nowadays.
I see that such a way of thinking is very far from justice and if nothing done for prevention, it will be lifestyle and unlimited.
I agree with Marinelle Castro that doctors has the right to choose their patients, but...
 (Total 70 words)
Laws regarding this issue differ in every country. Regardless of what is written in the law, physicians also have the right to choose their patients, which means they also have the right to refuse to treat people for whatever reason they may have. However, if a physician intentionally refuses to treat transgender individuals and women who have had abortions, I think that this is discrimination, and it is an abuse of the physician's rights that I previously mentioned. These subset of patients...
 (Total 99 words)
In my opinion with regards to this article, we can't blame doctors who refuse to treat transpeople or persons who have had abortions. It is their right as a practitioner whether or not to care and treat a patient. Most especially when their beliefs are against with the patients status and problems can arise when it is against their will. However, this kind of practice will surely affect the society in the future. Discrimination will surely be the main problem that will be faced. All LGBT com...
 (Total 94 words)
Gender issues, inequalities and those women who commit abortion has always been one of the challenges the society is facing. We can never blame people for what they are and what they have become. Also, we can never blame people who are judgemental and what they see in the society does not go along with their beliefs. USA dubbed as the land of the free is facing a forseeable crisis with their government with regards on how to treat patients with the mentioned issues. In my opinion, everyone of us...
 (Total 165 words)