General
Can doctors refuse to treat trans people or women who have had abortions?

Can doctors refuse to treat trans people or women who have had abortions?

Shared by:

A US District judge has ruled over a section of the Affordable Care Act, which stops doctors from discriminating against patients due to gender identity or those who have had abortions. Thus, doctors can now refuse a patient due to their personal religious beliefs.

today.mims.com

7 Jan 2017 - General

Although it is quite sensitive issue but I like the comments posted by all members. Thank you Marinelle Castro and ...
 (Total 24 words)
Thank you all for posting your point of view about the topic Mahmoud AbdelAziz , Elangovan Antony , ...
 (Total 28 words)
Turning away a patient because of his or her gender orientation or religious beliefs is ethically unacceptable. In medical school, we were taught that in our country, the only time when refusing a patient for admission is supported by law is when the...
 (Total 71 words)
Medicine is a profession in which although boundaries may be there for the doctor to practice in a different country, still the doctor doesn't exercise any discrimination among his patients, in any terms : religion, care, sex or even medically co...
 (Total 101 words)
Turning away patients is only permissible for professional reasons. For instance, if their conditions are out of our scope of practice OR if there is a blatant breach to the doctor-patient relationship like physical or verbal abuse where it carries a...
 (Total 89 words)
However, we as doctors can choose not to perform certain procedures whether due to lack of knowledge or due to contradiction to our beliefs. In other words, doctors can choose whether to facilitate an abortion or to perform sex changing surgery or no...
 (Total 76 words)
I find it extremely disturbing and ethically unacceptable to turn away patients upon their religious, sexual or identity backgrounds. In my country’s physician oath, we swear to God to provide our care and treatment to all our patients regardless of ...
 (Total 60 words)
Tahira Nawaz
Discrimination not just in medical field, is very common problem we are facing nowadays.
I see that such a way of thinking is very far from justice and if nothing done...
 (Total 70 words)
Laws regarding this issue differ in every country. Regardless of what is written in the law, physicians also have the right to choose their patients, which means they also have the right to refuse to treat people for whatever reason they may have. Ho...
 (Total 99 words)
In my opinion with regards to this article, we can't blame doctors who refuse to treat transpeople or persons who have had abortions. It is their right as a practitioner whether or not to care and treat a patient. Most especially when their belie...
 (Total 94 words)
Gender issues, inequalities and those women who commit abortion has always been one of the challenges the society is facing. We can never blame people for what they are and what they have become. Also, we can never blame people who are judgemental an...
 (Total 165 words)
In my views yes, doctor can refuse to treat transgender people or abortion due to religious belief. Especially it will be common in Muslim courtiers where doctors are truly practicing Islam. It is also a strong argument that doctors should treat huma...
 (Total 58 words)