General
Handwashing agents have minor effects on skin dermatitis, irritation

Handwashing agents have minor effects on skin dermatitis, irritation

Shared by:

Handwashing appears to have a minor contribution to Ebola transmission risk-related dermatitis, according to a new study, suggesting that communities dealing with Ebola should employ the handwashing method that is most appropriate to their situation and circumstance.

specialty.mims.com

7 Jan 2017 - General

We need to be very particular in choosing the agent we are applying to our skin most especially to those who's skin are sensitive. In my experience, I come to use both soap and water and/or sanitizer or whatever is available, seriously. Nonetheless the study revealed it does not play a major effect on the participants. I am also curious how the respondents were able to survive the research period as they were adviced to refrain theirselves from using shampoo, soap, conditioners and the like...
 (Total 86 words)
Theekshana Abayawickrama When I was a junior resident, I had the same experience with a propanol-based hand rub in our operating theatre. After a few minutes of application, I experience slight burning on my arms and forearms. I tolerated this because the sensation is temporary and I never developed rashes or erythema. The tolerance for difference strengths of alcohol-based hand disinfectants vary from person to ...
 (Total 76 words)
The results of the study are likely to be valid, but this is not applicable in my professional practice. At the institution where I am practicing at, it is mandatory for all healthcare workers to perform hand hygiene for every patient contact. Standard hand hygiene practice entails handwashing and/or the use of an alcohol-based hand rub. In contrast to the study, an average healthcare worker sees more than ten patients in a day. During the start of my residency, I always have dry hands because o...
 (Total 99 words)