General
Bullies of the hospital vs. medical students

Bullies of the hospital vs. medical students

Shared by:

Where is the line between ‘strict teaching methods’ and downright abusing medical students? The often hushed-up topic of supervisor abuse towards students needs to be brought to light for the greater good of medicine.

today.mims.com

9 Jan 2017 - General

Mahmoud AbdelAziz I do retell the stories of the terrors of the past. There is one in particular who I actually look back upon pretty fondly as the experience was actually thrilling. I do n...
 (Total 121 words)
Most of the time in the health care professionals setting, the seniors try to tolerate the juniors and I have experienced it well in my university times. It was so stressful and sometimes few of my colleagues gave up studying medicine too. I think th...
 (Total 60 words)
Yes, I totally agree with all of you Mark Edmon Tan Heena Pohani ...
 (Total 84 words)
The unspoken hierarchy. I don't believe in following what was done before to your juniors. I believe in following the positive traits of our mentors and not the chart throwing, psychological warfare, scut work overloading traits. So you were trea...
 (Total 61 words)
Mahmoud AbdelAziz
I want to know what is the benefits coming to these people and I can't imagine how they even continue their day without feeling the harm they did to others.
S...
 (Total 62 words)
Having experienced this sort of treatment, I made a promise not to pass on this stupid "rite" to junior colleagues. This sort of "teaching" is not effective, crushes the junior's confidence, and makes one insecure of his/her f...
 (Total 73 words)
Mark Edmon Tan and I graduated from the same medical school and I can relate to his experience. Unfortunately, a hierarchical form of teaching and mentoring still exists in a lot of institu...
 (Total 66 words)
Absolutely right! People will treat you the way like they were treated. If you have bad experiences as a person, you don't want other people to suffer the same way like you have don't you? Or sadly victims survive the way people have mistreat...
 (Total 148 words)
Thank you bringing up this topic. Bullying in any form for anyone can be traumatic and as a medical professional, we should realise this thing and should not follow it in hospitals with the juniors or other staff and even as a professor in a medical ...
 (Total 69 words)
I can totally relate to this article because this is rampant issue in the institution where i earned my medical degree. During the course of my medical training, I have witnessed some cases of power-tripping done by senior residents who have a superi...
 (Total 80 words)
I totally agree with the article point of view. There are certainly many abusive characters medical students encounter occasionally that really break their stamina. Unfortunately, not all medical students are able to adapt to such hostile environment...
 (Total 52 words)
When discussing depression among medical students, blame is often assigned to workload, long hours, and the generally depressing environment students work in. But a significant culprit that even medical students avoid discussing is when authority fig...
 (Total 43 words)