General

Legal and Ethical Issues Concerning Abortion

Created by:

9 Jan 2017 - General

One of the most controversial health issues in society nowadays is the topic of abortion. When is it ethical and when is it not? There is a large number of Catholics in the Philippines. This being said, abortion remain illegal in our country. In some institutions like the University of Santo Tomas Hospital, a patient who comes in due to profuse bleeding following an induced abortion is considered a medico-legal case. The police will be notified about this and the patient will have to face legal matters concerning this after being discharged from the hospital. For the MIMS Community, what is your country's stand on abortion and how do the hospitals respond to this?

Once a lady was presented requesting for an abortion of a healthy fetus. Usually in my country, we do not abort unless the mother's life is in danger due to the fetal factors. But that was all about their personal issues. So at that time my consu...
 (Total 56 words)
To add up to this discussion, I would also like to share with the group a concept that was reiterated to us in our ethics class in medical school. The Principle of Double Effect demonstrates that when faced with a situation wherein the doctors have t...
 (Total 68 words)
Madhubabu kaaja Thank you for sharing your country's policy concerning this delicate issue. It is sad to know that some are still doing abortion illegally. ...
 (Total 67 words)
As we live in an eastern country where these kind of things are not accepted, usually we do not do abortions and but there are some illegal institutions who practise abortions. Actually a fetus is a live body. So once it gets implanted in the uterus ...
 (Total 60 words)
Mark Edmon Tan Its good that you brought up this topic. As far as I am concerned, the Philippines has one of the most conservative stand on abortion, and there is no such thing as a legall...
 (Total 102 words)
Dr.Mark Edmon Tan, Indian Medical Termination pregnancy act says that one can go go for termination if 1.pregnancy is risk to mother or fetus only if mother is major 2. If mother is minor t...
 (Total 72 words)