General
How to Handle Difficult Patients | Ausmed

How to Handle Difficult Patients | Ausmed

Shared by:

How to Handle Difficult Patients | Ausmed | Most nurses worth their salt live for their patients. It is usually the patients that make the sore feet, pap...

www.ausmed.com

10 Jan 2017 - General

Tahira Nawaz Thank you for sharing your thoughts about the topic. I agree that we should always act in a professional manner when handling difficult patients. Participating in a heated argument will take away objectivity in managing a patient and could compromise the patient's well being. Having constant and clear communication can be done daily and conversations have to go both ways. Patients must be asked i...
 (Total 82 words)
Mark Edmon Tan I agree that when the patient is arrogant and starts abusing the doctor verbally, then a better approach is to stay calm and not to entertain his behavior and give a clear message not to do such a thing. Sometimes, the patient may get out of control and resort to physical harm to the doctor and in this situation, police or other governing body should be involved. Nowadays, patient's abusive nat...
 (Total 97 words)
Clear communication between a patient and healthcare provider (HCP) usually leads to a harmonious professional relationship. There are times when one encounters patients that are anxious about their illness and project this anxiety as angst or anger towards their assigned HCP. When one encounters such a situation, the HCP should remain calm and ferret the reason why the patient is behaving that way. The article has nicely stated that anger or agitation is a symptom usually clustered with the il...
 (Total 185 words)