General
Your Appendix Might Serve an Important Biological Function After All

Your Appendix Might Serve an Important Biological Function After All

Shared by:

One of the first things you learn about evolution in school is that the human body has a number of 'vestigial' parts - appendix, wisdom teeth, tailbone - that gradually fell out of use as we adapted to more advanced lifestyles than our primitive...

www.sciencealert.com

10 Jan 2017 - General

Very informative article. It is good to know that researchers delve deeper into the functions and vitality of our appendix. As it was not just an organ for nothing, but its existence is important just like other organs. And upon reading your comment ...
 (Total 76 words)
people often thinks appendix as a neutral organ with waste storage it is a general saying. But after seeing your post I came to know that it had done function in our ancestors and lost its functions in evolutionary pressures. And it may be stored go...
 (Total 86 words)
As you have mentioned above most of the surgeons tend to do appendisectomy in routine surgeries. While I was practicing paediatric surgery only I got realised that how important the appendix is. As you said for the children with neurogenic bladders, ...
 (Total 56 words)
Surgeons used to do routine appendectomies in patients who undergo laparotomy for other conditions. But my consultant is particularly concerned about preserving the appendix unless it is inflamed. In kids, the appendix becomes useful as a conduit for...
 (Total 52 words)