General
Is Your Doctor Healthier Than You?

Is Your Doctor Healthier Than You?

Shared by:

Whether your primary care doctor keeps fit can determine the quality of your own care. Here are eight charts that explain the state of physician fitness in the United States.

www.theatlantic.com

14 Jan 2017 - General

I always believe in the saying, we can never give what we don't have. Exactly! Not only doctors but all other healthcare providers should be a model and an example to the people most especially to the patients. As the poll reflects that almost all doctors are leading in almost everything, means that they also need to work on how they can be physically fit. It is already given that among all people, they're one of the most knowledgeable when in comes to health. It is a matter of disciplin...
 (Total 100 words)
Jennifer Winter Looking and acting the role of being a healthcare professional is really vital. The examples you have provided are common scenarios in our daily grind. Another good example would be one who advises patients to consume low salt and low fat diets but him/herself is a regular in fastfood joints. It is our obligation to provide an example that staying healthy can be done with more discipline and less ...
 (Total 72 words)
Theekshana Abayawickrama That is true. We have to take good care of ourselves in order to provide optimum care for others. Marinelle Castro I really agree that cutting down on fatty foods is a good way to stay in shape. There are some hospitals that provide meals for physicians-on-duty (mine included); however, few cater to these m...
 (Total 79 words)
Madhubabu kaaja We have to be the role models of maintaining good health as what Rajinda Asalage has mentioned. There is no excuse for not having annual routine tests done to monitor our health. Shunjie Chua I think the article was pointing out that physicians might unconsciously filter out health advise (i.e. smoking cessation) ...
 (Total 61 words)
Mark Edmon Tan yes we need to practice what we preach. The common scenario is an overweight doctor telling their patient to go on a diet and exercise regularly. How can we convince our patients to do so when there you are being a hypocrite? That also goes for the doctors who smokes and tells their patient to quit (smelling like cigarettes). As ...
 (Total 82 words)
Mark Edmon Tan I have been guilty of some of the facts that were mentioned in the article because I used to live an unhealthy lifestyle. Although starting last year, I took a lot of effort in taking care of my health and living a healthier lifestyle. With regards to diet, usually doctors eat whatever is available the hospital, and I think that one way to improve the health of doctors is to incorporate healthier ...
 (Total 81 words)
The statistics are quite embarrassing to know and this is based on a 2012 study. I believe that the percentage of physicians who smoke, take fatty foods regularly, and have illnesses such as hypertension and/or diabetes will increase if a recent study will be done. As healthcare providers, we must always take care of our health too. If we are not practicing what we preach, patients will notice and we will lose credibility. For the MIMS community, are you guilty of some of the things listed here?...
 (Total 105 words)