General
Doctor halts surgery to film cockroach in Thane civic hospital’s operation theatre - Mumbai Mirror -

Doctor halts surgery to film cockroach in Thane civic hospital’s operation theatre - Mumbai Mirror -

Shared by:

25% of hospital’s recent surgery patients have suffered from postoperative infections.

mumbaimirror.indiatimes.com

16 Jan 2017 - General

If the surgeon wanted to draw the administrations attention in relation to sanitation which was brought up several times already, he could've just stopped doing operating lists in that hospital if he was concerned. But he still carried on despite his concerns. Also, as what Jeremy Goh mentioned, audits from the infection control team is vital. If the operating area is not clean and they are unable to eradicat...
 (Total 84 words)
Aside from the issue of sanitation in the hospital setting, I am also surprised by the behavior of the doctor. Why did he have to halt his surgery for the sake of filming? As the consultant who is currently operating, he could have asked somebody else to document the presence of a cockroach in the operating theatre. Personally, I will not stop my surgery because of that. It was mentioned in the article that the patient's care was not compromised, but still I find the behavior unprofessional...
 (Total 87 words)
Jeremy Goh Thank you for sharing the article.As shown in the article, Infection is control plays a important role in the management of outcomes. The mentioned hospital has infection rate of 25 % which is really high. Although audits, measurements and testing are important, it may not have been able to prevent the "cockroach episode" in the story. This is because these measures often capture a snapshot o...
 (Total 88 words)