General
PH: Oral health needs government assistance

PH: Oral health needs government assistance

Shared by:

Dentists share the experiences of their profession, weigh in on the challenges that they face, and what it will take to overcome these challenges.

today.mims.com

18 Jan 2017 - General

Shunjie Chua Thanks for sharing those journals. Unfortunately, I am unable to find local studies on the value of preventive dental health visits. However, I think that preventive dental care is valuable in settings wherein the majority of the population is poorly educated in dental hygiene. Such is the situation in the Philippines, wherein as much as 87% is estimated to suffer from tooth decay. (Epidemiologic ...
 (Total 87 words)
Dental checkups are somewhat pricey so it really isn’t a surprise that people see a dentist only during severe cases where a tooth or oral condition causes serious discomfort. Many people, especially those with low socioeconomic status don’t see dental care as a priority. There are, however, dental care facilities available in government health centers where patients can go for free (though maybe this isn’t very much emphasized to the public). The only thing is that these are scheduled at certai...
 (Total 97 words)
Mark Edmon TanMarinelle Castro Heena Pohani , Thank you for sharing the article. Although i do believe that the dental care is inherently good, i have always wondered about the value for preventive visits. I took a look at two studies in the state...
 (Total 138 words)
Marinelle Castro I strongly agree with your suggestion. It is the Philippine Dental Association's call to urge the government to provide awareness to our countrymen about the benefits of routinely seeing a dentist. Symptomatic treatment is not cost-effective as compared to prophylaxis. Probably showing the breakdown of costs between routine follow-up and tooth extraction (plus antibiotics and alcohol-free ant...
 (Total 73 words)
Heena Pohani Economics is really a tough issue to deal with especially in our countries where there is inadequate healthcare support provided by the government. It is really sad to know that people are still not well-informed when it comes to practicing dental prophylaxis. This is indeed an issue in the Philippines where most elderly I encounter in the hospital need dentures because they were not routinely seeing...
 (Total 73 words)
It's good that someone finally wrote something about this issue. Remember my aunt, who works as a dentist, used to tell me that Filipinos would rather buy new clothes or shoes rather than spend their money on ab oral prophylaxis cleaning. Citizens of the Philippines don't put that much importance on oral health that is why there are less than 100,000 dentists in a country with a growing population of over 102 million. Filipinos would only visit their dentists once their teeth are startin...
 (Total 119 words)