General
DOH dares critics to present  better alternatives to reduce HIV/AIDS

DOH dares critics to present better alternatives to reduce HIV/AIDS

Shared by:

The Department of Health (DOH) chief Paulyn Ubial took to Social Media to ask those who oppose the condom distribution plan if they have better alternatives in lowering the cases of STIs in the country, and if they do, the department is open to hear it.

today.mims.com

19 Jan 2017 - General

I applaud Health Secretary Ubial for the challenge issued to those who blabber about morality but could not give any concrete solutions to the rise in STD or any public health issue for that matter. The Roman Catholic Church should stop trying to look for specks in the eyes of the government and acknowledge the blindfold they put over their own eyes. The youth will continue to be curious about sex and we know that short of stopping their hormones from being produced, it is impossible to curb suc...
 (Total 169 words)
Sex education, giving out free condoms and all the different implementations are actually helpful to reduce HIV/AIDS. But the most important is education starting from within the family and amongst peers. If the society is matured enough, this condition can be kept quite well under control. The problem lies with promiscuity and homosexuality which greatly worsens the spread of HIV/AIDS. Talks have to be targeted and health promotion board of the country should ensure that there shouldnt be anyon...
 (Total 114 words)
Thank you all for your comments on this topic. I highly agree with most of you here that giving out condoms is not the only solution. I liken this strategy to treating the symptom of a disease but ignoring the cause of the disease itself. I think the family should be responsible in teaching the youth the proper values and attitude towards sex. Also, the parents and the family as a whole should be involved in sex talks, and strategies taken should not isolate the youth but involve the whole famil...
 (Total 91 words)
I am uncertain how DOH carefully studied the possible behavioral effects of condom distribution among the youth because I have not heard of any news about a recent pilot testing regarding this topic. I strongly oppose condom distribution because I think that the youth can be better informed about STI's without it. I still feel that the root of this problem is oversimplified. It is not only caused by the lack of awareness/education, but also in the lack of values that should have been taught ...
 (Total 91 words)
Lianne Marie Victoria Laruan , Thank you for sharing the article. Its shows a further development of the story which also had a rather heated arguement as well. This story really comes close to heart as I have previously volunteered on some STI prevention programs in Singapore and Thailand. I think this is a multifaceted problem, so a multipronged solution of which condoms are only suggested to be part of the stra...
 (Total 72 words)
I strongly disagree with the distribution of condoms especially to "schools" or public schools. Alotting budget for this is quite a waste of funds because let's say for example, not everyone who'll receive this will use it or dispose them or what. I think if the child is well loved and enough care is being given, they will not ask for further affection from multiple sex partners which is I guess the top cause why people acquire the disease, (not for all). Some could have it fro...
 (Total 157 words)
"DOH also stressed that condoms are a last resort. First they suggest abstinence, delay of sexual debut, and no to premarital sex – but if one cannot follow such strategies, then to use condoms for protection." This is the DOH's approach to reduce HIV/AIDS in the country. I am pretty sure it is getting a lot of resistance especially from the religious groups from the country. If we talk about the culture of Filipinos being conservative and religious, do we really think that the you...
 (Total 107 words)