General
One-Third of Adults Diagnosed With Asthma Don't Actually Have It, Study Finds

One-Third of Adults Diagnosed With Asthma Don't Actually Have It, Study Finds

Shared by:

Millions who've experienced asthma symptoms in the past carry around inhalers in case breathing problems arise, but a new study shows that a lot of them might not actually need to.

www.sciencealert.com

22 Jan 2017 - General

Thank you for sharing the article Theekshana Abayawickrama . The finding is indeed one which could change practice. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on asthma Chih Chiang Nieh . I was wondering where you have obtained the fact that methacoline test was the test to go for in the diagnosis of asthma? I would really like to learn fro...
 (Total 108 words)
I think part of why most treat outright and diagnose with asthma without waiting for spiromentry results are because, most physicians would want to relieve symptoms then and there and second, because some patients would demand a medication for their symptoms. However, as doctors, patients should be given a request for spirometry (may or may not give asthma medications temporarily, depending on severity of symptoms and the case per se) and have a result on follow up so as to provide the accurate ...
 (Total 84 words)