General
The banning of powdered gloves and its implications

The banning of powdered gloves and its implications

Shared by:

In the context of healthcare, medical gloves serve as protective devices for both medical personnel and patients alike. It also protects the examiner's and the patient’s hands from any potential infection. However, powdered medical gloves have been banned recently because they were shown to bring unreasonable and substantial risk.

today.mims.com

23 Jan 2017 - General

Priscilla Mae Gobuyan: there is no official ban yet here in the Philippines but we may see that coming around soon. A lot of hospitals have a large supply of powdered gloves still in their central supply units and just discarding them is a pretty big investment loss (or at least in our culture is would be "sayang" or a waste). Maybe we will just finish up our supplies then shift to powder free ones as i...
 (Total 85 words)
I personally as well do not like powdered gloves as they are very drying. I ended up getting some skin breaks from the dryness (of course other reasons like repetitive hand washing and the cold weather are factors as well but the powder is of no help.) I like the effect of the powder free gloves more. Theekshana Abayawickrama that is a problem as well but from what I understand is that the general idea of having a...
 (Total 99 words)
I'm glad they are banning these powdered gloves. They can of course make it easy to don however, I think they do more harm than good. Some gloves have visible powder that you have to shake it off and the powder just goes to your nose if you haven't put on mask yet. Throughout my practice as a GP, I have experienced using powdered gloves doing Internal Exams on pregnant women, doing minor surgery such as excision of cysts and even circumcision and wonder where the powder might go. And lo...
 (Total 157 words)
Thanks for sharing the article Priscilla Mae Gobuyan . The original FDA document can be found at https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2016/12/19/2016-30382/banned-devices-powdered-surgeons-gloves-powdered-patient-examination-gloves-and-absorbable-powder. It shows the meticulous process that the FDA goes through when they make a ban. There has not been similar movements for now in authorities in Asia, but th...
 (Total 59 words)
So far, the banning of powdered gloves haven't reach the Philippines yet. As of now, we have the stocks and we're still using it. Though it is comfortable to use the powdered one because of its texture, we need to support this movement to avoid further health complications it may give us. In my personal practice, I prefer the unpowdered and latex free because I am allergic to thw powdered one in the long run. Maybe by next month, we'll no longer be using the powdered one. Thanks for...
 (Total 95 words)