General
4 habits that negatively impact patient care

4 habits that negatively impact patient care

Shared by:

Being hospitalised can be dreadful; it is up to healthcare providers to not only care for their patients, but to also try their best to make sure that they have a good experience at the hospital.

today.mims.com

27 Jan 2017 - General

Mark Edmon Tan
Thank you for sharing this article, in my opinion if you have a good communication skills and know how to use them in you workplace, you will never fall in any of the mentioned mistakes.
Patients when hospitalized, they became more sensitive and negative and they experience mixed feelings, most of them can pass through these feelings only On the first day but many can't feel comforted ...
 (Total 94 words)
Tahira Nawaz Thank you for bringing up the negative effect of being rude towards patients. Doctors simply cannot expect patients to be fully compliant if they feel that the attending physician is not giving them enough respect or undivided attention. Patients are willing and cooperative if healthcare professionals show that the primary concern is the patient's well-being. It is true that patients feel this ge...
 (Total 80 words)
Heena Pohani and Tarah Cadiz Thank you for bringing up two common issues - being rude to patients and the superiority complexes of some doctors. I have to reference a scene from the movie Patch Adams where Robin Williams is maligned for "stooping down" to the patient's level. There is no such thing as stooping down i...
 (Total 97 words)
Madhubabu kaaja and Jemelyn Mae Sodusta We share the same sentiments. Patients deserve a thorough explanation as to why tests are being done during admission. My practice is to explain why we exams, even the routine ones. Frequently reassuring patients by giving updates of ancillary procedure results is a good way to reduce patient...
 (Total 84 words)
Priscilla Mae Gobuyan and Theekshana Abayawickrama Thank you for sharing your insights. Patients are under tremendous stress and anxiety when admitted to a hospital. It is prudent to keep lines of communication open as the patients really want their condition better quick. Acting unprofessional (i.e. giving curt responses or laughi...
 (Total 69 words)
Sometimes, healthcare workers can be "rude" or cold to patients, especially when the environment is toxic and the influx of patients who consult have unreasonable complaints. Sometimes, the defense of people in our field is that, we need to keep a hard face when facing such so as to keep these "kind" of people in line which we have stereotyped. Which is also why, being in this field is all the while more challenging. However, patients are still people like you and me, we can&...
 (Total 92 words)
Being confined in the hospital already gives the patient the discomfort mentally, financially for some and isn't a pleasing experience at all. However as healthcare providers we can do the change for most of them who thinks that being in the hospital will always be a burden. It all remains with proper communication and understanding the situation. Making an impact on you patients lives or at least during the course of stay will at least uplift their spirit to feel better. Good mood can also ...
 (Total 118 words)