General

Common Trait of FIlipino Patients

Created by:

28 Jan 2017 - General

photo from 123RF.com

We often talk about hospital-related difficulties in the MIMS community but we rarely talk about the main reason for choosing this profession - the patient. Different culture of countries will certainly affect the common trait of patients. In the Philippines, patients usually consult with the extended family (including the grandparents or even cousins) in tow because of our culture of having close family ties. Also, patients here are very conservative; hence, doing physical examinations to sensitive areas should always be done under the presence of a female counterpart to avoid making the patient exposed. Another common trait of Filipinos is seeing a doctor only where there are symptoms. This practice is not cost-effective and should be discouraged despite having a subpar healthcare system. For the MIMS community, what is the common trait of patients in your country?

Jennifer Winter It is part of the manyaya (procrastinating) culture of Filipinos where patients would prefer to delay hearing news about an illness or diagnosis. This is the exact reason why Filipinos forego screening because they do not want to know if they have a serious illness.

It is really annoying when relatives try to block information from a competent patient. I respectfully inform them that the...
 (Total 76 words)
Mark Edmon Tan So far I haven't faced a situation where I was attending to a patient who has zero idea on what is going on with them. I have had patients where the family wanted to speak with me first but the patient learned about his/her condition later on. I feel it would be difficult to stress to the family the right of the patient but it is so common in our culture, especially if the patient is elderly, t...
 (Total 90 words)
One thing that I've noticed for some here in the country is that, people believe that if someones dying, they won't die immediately not until the one that he/she wanted to visit will come over to see him/her. I don't know if this applies to everyone here in the Philippines but here in the Visayas region, we used to have this kind of thinking. Another is stopping taking antibacterial medication compliance once the symptoms have gone away and whenever they feel better. We'll everyo...
 (Total 99 words)
Jennifer Winter Yes, this is one of the reasons why people are diagnosed late with cancer because they are afraid of finding out if they have an illness. This is in line with Marinelle Castro 's observation. As Mahmoud AbdelAziz has pointed out...
 (Total 58 words)
Kathleen Peralta Antibiotics are not over the counter here in the Philippines..or at least they shouldn't be. As Mark Edmon Tan mentioned the large drug stores require a prescription but some smaller ones just hand out the antibiotics at free will. This highly irritates me. I witnessed once at a sari sari store where the sales...
 (Total 93 words)
I think another Filipino patient trait, in line with the family one Mark Edmon Tan mentioned, is keeping medical information from the patient. Like if the patient is diagnosed with cancer the family will quickly intervene and keep you from telling the patient their diagnoses. This is a very common scenario and one I am truly unsure how to deal with as in line with culture we need to respect that but as doctors o...
 (Total 81 words)
Kathleen Peralta Bigger drugstores are more strict with dispensing antibiotics. I see infomercials in big drugstores about the perils of using antibiotics. However, the problem lies in the small drugstores who still dispense medications without prescription. People still see doctors and state that they self-medicate. I wish that access for all types of medication can only be done with prescription. Let us wait f...
 (Total 73 words)