General
Trump’s immigration ban, a gamble on US healthcare

Trump’s immigration ban, a gamble on US healthcare

Shared by:

With US President Donald Trump’s new executive order preventing immigrants from entering the country, the US healthcare system – which is heavily reliant on foreign-born and foreign-trained workers – may face severe repercussions.

today.mims.com

1 Feb 2017 - General

NRMP does not charge extra money if one has applied through MYERAS for your information, they only charges extra when one wants to match to more than 20 programs. But that is not feasible as not many candidates would have interviews for more than 20 over programs. The match is a very complex procedure. Actually their point of training IMGs is to ensure that these people will go back to their countries to spread the knowledge and skills to benefit their home countries. This is also the point of ...
 (Total 92 words)
Shunjie Chua I think you misunderstood my point, I was saying H1B visa given in the context of medical residency and not talking about IT industry which is out of point. For your information, each residency program charges USD$26 per application and one program receives about 3000 aoplications. They always advice the candidates to apply broadly hence one can spend up to $10000 on applying for over 300 programs. They didnt lie but cleary they should have the courtesy to reflect it in the system ...
 (Total 100 words)
Chih Chiang Nieh I don't think the residency programs actually makes money from the applications. The the NRMP might have additional revenues from it. There is actually no lying involved, there are many programs which state explicitly that they only accept PR, citizens. This can actually be empathized because the motive of the programs is to benefit the local community by training competant residents. There ...
 (Total 82 words)
Chih Chiang Nieh I was thinking that you are talking about your friends outside medicine. I think you got the H1B component wrong, A large part of the H1B quota actually goes to IT consultancies which are largely private enterprises. There is a article on NYT which shows where it goes(https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/11/06/us/outsourcing-companies-dominate-h1b-visas.html). I think there is a plan by the...
 (Total 79 words)
Chih Chiang Nieh Currently, if i am not wrong, there is a lack of residency places in most if not all disciplines in the states. Match rate last year for IMG rests at around 45-55 percent. A large percentage of these IMGs are made up by physicians who are not from the 7 countries. There really isn't a lack of international medical graduates who are seeking to work in USA.
(http://www.ecfmg.org/resource...
 (Total 71 words)
In addition the NRMP (National Resident Matching Program) also mentioned that the medical education community must support all international medical graduates and their families during these difficult times, and as for the current Match cycle, NRMP encourages applicants and programs to make the best decisions they can under current circumstances and will be liberal in granting waivers to applicants and programs if they cannot meet their respective match obligations. But because of these the pro...
 (Total 87 words)
Shunjie Chua Trump's decision on banning selected immigrants supports discriminating practices and behaviors in their country. Even before Trump held office, racial discrimination has been rampant in America. Some of my peers who practice there tell me that some Caucasian patients refuse to be seen by non-Caucasian health professionals. Trump's decision supports this behavior, which a lot of immigrant ...
 (Total 63 words)
Thank you for sharing your comments on this topic. Shunjie Chua I totally agree with you that there is a growing need in the healthcare sector in the United States. However, I disagree with Mr Spicer. The Unites States is primarily an immigrant nation. The founding fathers had the vision to make a sanctuary for those who are vulnerable and a place for the hard workers to achieve their dreams regardless of thei...
 (Total 99 words)
Mahmoud AbdelAziz Thank you for sharing your views. As Secretary Spicer has said, "entering the USA is a privilege and not a right" so we should not be overly unhappy when the USA suddenly decides to bar entry to the nation. As far as i know, there is actually a great demand for HCPs in the middle east region such that a lot of physicians are recruited from India and Pakistan. There isn't a need f...
 (Total 88 words)
Chih Chiang Nieh Thanks for sharing your views. I have not heard about the the removal of chinese researchers being removed from their jobs because of Trump's immigration policy. Is there source that you can share? I do not think that these attempts will really deter much foreign talent from working in USA. This is because the pay and opportunity differential between USA and most of the other countries is ra...
 (Total 72 words)