General
Indian children died after 'eating lychees on empty stomach' - BBC News

Indian children died after 'eating lychees on empty stomach' - BBC News

Shared by:

Hundreds of children died due to eating the fruit on an empty stomach, research says.

www.bbc.com

2 Feb 2017 - General

Chih Chiang Nieh i had the same question in mind. I know this would seem kind of insensitive to think of, but there must be a way that hypoglycin be used to treat diabetes.

I didn't know of this toxin until now, and it is quite alarming. However, could this be advised to diabetic patients though? To eat lychee after eating a meal? Perhaps this would decrease the need for oral hypoglycemic agents? ...
 (Total 77 words)
Andrew Ho I am also unaware of this lychee fruit tragedy being I am living here thanking you Mahmoud AbdelAziz for your post. Lychee fruits consists of 0.1 to 1000 ppm of hypoglycin based on fruits ripened. Unripe fruits are most causative for low glucose in brain further resulted cerebral diseases followed by deaths. This type o...
 (Total 74 words)
Mahmoud AbdelAziz Thank you for sharing the article. It was a interesting read. I recall a childhood warning of not eatting fruits on a empty stomach, this makes me wonder if this is where that warning came from. The curious thing about this story is why is this occuring only in that part of India when it is supposed to be a naturally occuring toxin in Lychee. Hopefully, this report will be spread to prevent oth...
 (Total 79 words)