General
Is the body better off skipping breakfast?

Is the body better off skipping breakfast?

Shared by:

It is a common belief that breakfast should not be skipped as it provides many health benefits. A British clinical biochemistry professor questions this long-held assumption in his new book.

today.mims.com

3 Feb 2017 - General

Jennifer Winter Thank you for sharing your thoughts. Ideally it would be better not to skip meals or limit ourselves to a specific time (i.e. 12noon for lunch) when consuming meals. The author was able to nitpick on studies that produce white hat bias. However, he was also neglecting the fact that he presumed consuming sugar-rich breakfast food and balanced breakfast would have the same effect on blood sugar cont...
 (Total 75 words)
I strongly believe in not skipping any meal period. Yes during training we tend to not eat on time but as much as possible I eat all three meals. Especially in surgery this is important. You don't want to get a hypoglycemic attack during an operation :-Z. In the article I don't like this statement: "He claims that by eating breakfast, people are only increasing the amount of calories consumed and encouraging hunger pangs later in the day." I want to see some scientific evidence...
 (Total 91 words)
Habiba Twakkol Honestly, it is the first time that I encountered an article about the harmful effect of breakfast too. I agree with your statement that regular diet an active lifestyle are more important in keeping blood sugar controlled rather than skipping breakfast. I share the same thinking as well that we should skip dinner instead if we would want to skip a meal. Most will rest after dinner and habitually e...
 (Total 85 words)
Chih Chiang Nieh Yes, it is true that we have to wake up terribly early just to eat breakfast. More often, HCPs would end up skipping breakfast to attend to urgent errands in the hospital. Brunch is often the choice for most in the healthcare setting but the problem lies in taking in more calories since one feels the need to be rewarded for skipping breakfast. Another is that we tend not to make sensible food ch...
 (Total 103 words)
Theekshana Abayawickrama I agree that breakfast is very vital, especially in your field that requires meticulous decision-making while performing surgeries. It would be pretty hard to concentrate when one feels hunger. As for your statement concerning being in a fasted state, most of us will at least fast for 10 hours overnight. I really do not see the point in restricting breakfast intake unless it is of the high...
 (Total 71 words)
Tahira Nawaz Thank you for sharing your thoughts. The author states that extending a fasted state helps the body recover and we are better off with two meals. I agree with you that one meal we could afford to skip would be dinner. This extends the fasted state without compromising our decision-making early in the morning. Moreover, stress eating commonly takes place in the evening after hospital work and we could...
 (Total 80 words)
Thank you for sharing this topic. Unfortunately, most doctors like us have no habit or time for breakfast unless we are on leave or during off days. This is because the early rounds in hospital, followed by department meetings and having to rush off for operation or clinics will make us have absolutely little time for meals. In fact our lunches are usually in late afternoon and we have to gobble our food up quickly before continuing our clinical duties. Such is extremely unhealthy, what an irony...
 (Total 87 words)
Thank you for sharing the article Mark Edmon Tan . I never realised that this has been a controversial issue for many months. This article is just It offers a interesting opinion about a practice which is practiced by people across the globe. Personally, i do not have any evidence, but i feel that breakfast is a important meal which can potentially help in the reduction of consumption of food during lunch. I thi...
 (Total 91 words)