General
President Duterte Is Repeating My Mistakes

President Duterte Is Repeating My Mistakes

Shared by:

When I was president of Colombia, I learned that a “war on drugs“ is unwinnable.

nyti.ms

8 Feb 2017 - General

I just can't complain but to agree with this article. Although it has been a great difference in time compared to todays time, the previous Columbian president could be just right or maybe wrong. I am greatly against with extrajudicial killings and all of the inhumane things that are happening in the country. It is a hot issue being talked by many and everyone has different mixed of opposite opinion regarding it. Some would find it the best way and some just felt sorry for what is happening....
 (Total 113 words)
I am always referencing our current situation to Columbia's in 1980's to early 1990's. If one could only see how rampant drug use in the Philippines, one could show empathy with what the president is doing. I am not saying that the current approach is the best method but indifference towards drug use was removed in our country. President Gaviria may be right as he had first-hand experience on this problem and I hope that evidence-based ideas to combat drugs could be brought up with a...
 (Total 91 words)
Thank you for sharing this interesting article Shunjie Chua . The spread of addictive drug in a community is usually caused by different reasons. Tackling this epidemic requires parallel work on many levels to break the circles and stop the cascade. I think it is also worthy to mention the other article shared today talking about encouraging flowers productions instead of cocaine in Colombia. Enforcing strict a...
 (Total 78 words)
Woah, since I’m from the Philippines and I’ve read so much about news and changes due to this “war on drugs,” reading this article is an eye-opening experience for me. Is there really another way? Though I believe in President Duterte’s love for the country, I am not an advocate of violence and extra-judicial killings. The article mentions other ways to help solve the drug problem, like improving public health and safety and strengthening measures against corruption, and I think these are also ...
 (Total 139 words)
In this NYT article, Former president of Columbia opines on the current practices which are being used in Philippines for the war on drugs. This is because many of these practices have failed in his country. He suggest that there should be an effort to reduce supply by improving public health and safety, strengthening anticorruption measures . Another approach would be to decriminalise consumption and ensuring that governments regulate certain drugs, including for medical and recreational purpos...
 (Total 77 words)