General
The many factors influencing patient hygiene practices, and how nurses can help

The many factors influencing patient hygiene practices, and how nurses can help

Shared by:

Poor personal hygiene can result in increased risk of infections and illnesses, consequently creating many social problems. Nurses need to identify the hygiene practices of their patients and what sort of assistance needs to be offered, so as to organise patient care appropriately.

today.mims.com

10 Feb 2017 - General

The best and cheap way in preventing infection is hand washing. I have never washed hands for more than 30times in a day in my life until I started working in a dialysis unit. In the clinic, although we would have posters about hand hygiene it will still all depend on what the patients want to do and despite of all the information handed out, the patient will always have the last say. As a strategy, when the HCA's give out drinks and biscuits during their treatment, we hand out wipes for th...
 (Total 131 words)
This might actually be a sensitive topic for patients because they might be insulted if a healthcare professional reminds them to wash their hands, and perform basic hygiene practices. On the other hand, if we do not educate them, it might be a sin of omission on our part. Just curious how other health professionals advise their patients regarding basic personal hygiene. I have very limited experience with reminding patients because majority of the inpatients that I handle have a caregiver or a ...
 (Total 89 words)
Personal hygiene should always be an individuals priority to avoid acquiring and spreading of diseases. As healthcare providers, we are exposed everyday to many sort and kinds of bacteria. Also, even patients should be strict with their personal hygiene because it could also be the healthcare provider that could transmit the infection to them. Given that we are born to different cultures, religion and practices, it is better to program our approach according to their needs. As being mentioned in...
 (Total 113 words)