General
The importance of narrative-based medicine

The importance of narrative-based medicine

Shared by:

In a country like Singapore, where population ageing is a prevalent issue, it is only sensible that the appropriate healthcare support transforms according to what is required for optimal aging. However, many healthcare professionals still face major challenges when dealing with complex issues, especially when it comes to multi-morbidity, as this often requires support beyond what normal medicine can cover sufficiently.

today.mims.com

16 Feb 2017 - General

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, Marinelle Castro and Lianne Marie Victoria Laruan. I think that it is given that the appropriate and only approach to effective treatment is individualized patient care. No two patients are the same, not even identical twins. Each patient has a unique case and it is our duty as doctors to inves...
 (Total 71 words)
Mark Edmon Tan This is the first time that I have encountered the term, "narrative-based medicine". I think that this is more commonly referred to as individualized or personalized medicine in our country. Of course the importance of a holistic approach cannot be underscored. It is really important for physicians to recognize the peculiar attributes of the patient and make the necessary modifications to...
 (Total 71 words)
The best way to address our patients' health concerns is by a holistic approach. In this way, we could look into all the aspects that contribute to their present condition. Doing so would also help us address complex issues with regards to co-morbidities and to be able to create a good treatment plan for them. Furthermore, I always advise my patients, especially the elderly to also take care of their spiritual well-being. I have noticed that they greatly appreciate simple reminders like thes...
 (Total 83 words)