General
Housemen in Malaysia driven to quit by stress

Housemen in Malaysia driven to quit by stress

Shared by:

Unable to cope with the long working hours and other pressures in the medical field, many house officers in Malaysia fail to turn up for work or resign without completing their training.

today.mims.com

17 Feb 2017 - General

It seems that mental health is a pressing problem in Malaysia. Through the MIMS platform, I have learned about Malaysia's problem on suicide rates in schools, and now quit rates among doctors in training. I have been in residency for a while now, and I can say that it is really a stressful time in one's career. However, it will be worsened if you work with people who exert influence in a manner that is not beneficial for learning. Other than counselling, perhaps training institutions sho...
 (Total 92 words)
Jemelyn Mae Sodusta Thank you for sharing your thoughts. Counselling is much needed to deal with the rigors of training, especially if the institution is known to have a lot of patients. I agree that a good support system not only in the hospital but at home as well is really vital to maintaining a resident's sanity while undergoing training. Hospitals must also ensure that housemen and all HCPs are happy wi...
 (Total 92 words)
AS doctors, we are subjected to a great deal of stress every single day of our lives. Possibly more than any other profession because we hold actual lives in our hands. I'm no expert in dealing with stressful situations but when the tension becomes too severe, I know when to ask for help. I think that most doctors overlook the fact that more than any other patient, psychological health care- or health care in general, is more accessible to them and they are the ones who can benefit most from...
 (Total 91 words)