General

Dentistry is not expensive, neglect is.

Created by:

10 Mar 2017 - General

Procrastination regarding dental problems is quite popular among people. Many of us visit a dentist only when we have pain in the tooth or any other serious dental complaint. It is a common myth that one should go for a dental check-up only when one is having a toothache or has lost a tooth. However, as it is well said: "A stitch in time saves nine." Dental neglect can cost one an arm and a leg. People putt off their dental treatment thinking that such procedures are costly and one can resort to them later too. Unfortunately, this is not the case in dentistry. If a dental filling costs you 1000 bugs, then a root canal treatment will be 3-4 times more costly. Also, extracting the decayed tooth and its replacement will be even more costly. Thus, dentistry is not expensive, but surely neglect is.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. I think that this old adage best applies in this discussion because disease prevention is less expensive than secondary prevention. Recently I have read studies that link periodontal disease and its positive association with diabetes. Apparently, poor oral health can contribute to poor glycemic control. Consequently, diabetes can also lead to periodontal infections. Both of these illnesses are expensive to treat and can be...
 (Total 81 words)
Shunjie Chua Definitely, dental neglect is expensive. The example of dental filling and root canal treatment was used by me only for reference. However, many research studies have been done on this topic and it has been proved that dental neglect can prove to be more expensive. The prices of dental treatment is also increasing with time and this factor can also help in making the treatment more expensive at a l...
 (Total 74 words)