General
Physicians are financially illiterate and it's time for that to change

Physicians are financially illiterate and it's time for that to change

Shared by:

Medical schools, financial advisors, and doctors themselves all have a responsibility to boost physician financial literacy.

www.kevinmd.com

26 Mar 2017 - General

Well-written, as always, but I take issue with one point. I do not believe that it is the responsibility of the medical school to educate the physician on personal finance issues, any more than it is the responsibility of the engineering school or the law school. I believe that a basic education on personal finance should be part of the education of everyone. Do you think it would destroy our math curriculum in K-12 if we taught one week of basic money competency every year. I agree that medical...
 (Total 139 words)
Priscilla Mae Gobuyan , Madhubabu kaaja , Tahira Nawaz , and Lianne Marie Victoria Laruan Thank you for sharing your insights. Every HCP need to have some sound backg...
 (Total 115 words)
Mahmoud AbdelAziz I wish this was more discussed when I was still in medical school. Being informed on the business side of practicing medicine would really come in handy when starting one's practice. I really think that this should be mandatory in all medical schools. After all, incorporating administrative or business work into our clinical practice is inevitable. Every doctor must know more than the basics...
 (Total 74 words)
Theekshana Abayawickrama The common mistake for younger doctor is living beyond their means. Thank you for highlighting an overlooked flaw. We must also bear in mind that we lack income from passive resources. Holding clinics require our physical presence and an absence means we lose money for the day. It would be nice if investing was taught in medical school to educate us on the importance of having multiple inc...
 (Total 71 words)
Most people think that doctors are rich or surefire destined for amassing a great deal of wealth. Physicians are more likely headed for the contrary instead as doctors incur debts and lose the prime years for earning. This article's discussion centers on the incapability of doctors to handle finances well on a consistent basis. I agree that this is true and medical schools should start incorporating business administration and finance classes. One school, the Ateneo School of Medicine and Pu...
 (Total 105 words)