General
Nine-year-old boy dies of chronic asthma after doctors missed diagnosis

Nine-year-old boy dies of chronic asthma after doctors missed diagnosis

Shared by:

A nine-year-old boy had at least 11 consultations with NHS doctors and private practitioners in seven months, before he succumbed to chronic asthma five days after being discharged from hospital.

today.mims.com

28 Mar 2017 - General

While reading through the article, it reminds me a situation like this posted in the community weeks ago. This is really unfortunate for the child. To think that the child was gifted with a brilliant mind. This could have been prevented if they were able to assess the child keenly. I wonder why they didn't ask for the history of the child from the mother again. I believe it won't take them an hour doing that. Too bad this incident happened. Hopefully, they learn their lesson in this inci...
 (Total 89 words)
A good history and physical examination is the backbone of accurate diagnosis. Ancillaries are only supposed to aid or confirm the initial diagnosis done clinically. It is important to remember this as asthma patients are often diagnosed clinically when tight airways or wheezes are heard upon consultation. Chest x-rays are not helpful in diagnosing as it will yield normal findings in pure asthma cases. Salbutamol challenge test could have facilitated the diagnosis too. This is a lesson for us in...
 (Total 94 words)