General

Different world

Created by:

28 Jun 2016 - General

Mental Illness is a word dread by most individuals. Most of the times, it’s more difficult for caregivers and supportive individuals. Parallel view is, how is it for individual’s going through it, may not always be “suffering through it”. I say this because I have been shared and explained about a “DIFFERENT WORLD” by my patients.

What they call as a “different world”, it’s in their mind and they do sometimes see and feel so as well. As we all use our sense to be a part of this world as completely functioning individuals’s, they also use all their senses to be a part of the world they believe is true. This world is not always scary or unhappy or sadist in nature. One of the most acceptable theory why individuals build their own world states that they do so to escape from reality which may be very painful. The logic to be applied is if one was trying to run away from pain, one will try to find something peaceful and this “different world” can be that peaceful place as well.

Patients are sometimes very happy and satisfied with this world, thus strive to be there. This adds on to the challenge faced by mental health professionals in planning and implementing the treatment.

Intervention in terms of systematically planned therapies is the key. Therapies will include psychopharmacology along with regular psycho-therapy sessions. Different permutations and combinations of approach is generally required. Yet someone with Rational-Emotive Behavior Therapy (REBT) and Cognitive-Behavior Therapy (CBT) approach could be the ideal professional. It is also very important to psycho-educate the family members and other care givers. Regular communication for follow-ups between b...
 (Total 116 words)