General

Outside regular doctoring

Created by:

28 Jun 2016 - General

The world is our oyster. We can do more things with our lives. As doctors we live to serve people and know that our work is noble and very fulfilling. There are more aspects to our personalities and we would like to do more with our lives. There is more work beyond just regular clinic visits, hospital rounds and community work. I work in telemedicine where I get provide medical opinions to patients half across the globe and I write medical related articles as I have a passion for writing. The possibilities are really endless. What other work are you involved in or would want to involve yourself in?

Hi Jennifer, I feel the same way. Am afraid that I'm missing out on so many other opportunities and experience since I've spend so much of my energy, time and effort in medicine. There are also times when I feel that medicine is very confining, where room for creativity is limited. This is very stifling for those who have a creative edge and often catch myself wondering what if I chose a different path. I love to travel and draw. It's a struggle to find time to fit those into my rout...
 (Total 92 words)
Oh the regrets in life. I am just in the beginning of my medical career but I start to fear the possible things I will regret in the future. Our field requires a long long process of studying, training and more training. The other aspects of our lives are immensely affected by this. As I said in the main post, there are more aspects to our personalities. I like to travel as well and will surely squeeze in more of that. I like how you mentioned about horology and when you find the time you should...
 (Total 139 words)
"But that I mean that I should be able to give back to the society which has given me a lot till date."- I completely agree with you there. I myself do medical-surgical outreach work such as free consultations or free minor surgeries. Some people may comment that this type of work is not sustainable and isn't much of help. Looking at the big picture being able to educate a patient during a consultation goes a long way. We are able to point them in the direction on who to see next, ...
 (Total 125 words)
I’m currently on leave from hospital work due to personal reasons. During this break, I realized that I’ve missed a huge part of my life because of pursing my dream to become a neurosurgeon. I don’t regret it, but I realized there are certain interests that I’ve put on hold to make advancements in my career. I love travelling. I really want to see many places before I get too old to enjoy it. I am also very much interested in horology. I want to learn how to make watches! I really hope I get to ...
 (Total 118 words)
I am into practice since 13 years. Surgery scheduling, consultation and visits to different hospitals is a part and parcel of my work. After allowing time for my family and children, I do manage to find some time for myself which I would like to make use of in a fruitful manner. But that I mean that I should be able to give back to the society which has given me a lot till date. I go for medical camps at remote places where I provide free consultation and help to patients and their relatives. T...
 (Total 158 words)