General

Ethical concern in 3D bioprinting

Created by:

28 Jun 2016 - General

3D bioprinting is a promising technological advancement that opens doors to possible beneficial treatments in modern medicine. In the field of regenerative medicine, interest in transplantation of bioprinted organs is steadily increasing in popularity. In fact, the Wake Forest Institute for Regenerative Mecicine in North Carolina pioneered the transplantation of a 3D printed bladder into a human patient. They are also developing the Integrated Tissue and Organ Printing System (ITOP), which is a state-of-the-art organ bioprinting machine designed to print organs for transplantation. However, this brings about serious ethical concerns for medical practitioners. How will we know that the resultant bioprinted organ is safe for human transplantation? How will the appropriate candidate selection be? What are your thoughts on this?

I would presume that you are referring to a time in the near future where bioprinted organs offered as a treatment alternative for patients. If that is the case, as long as there is a clinician who has the experience and skills to implant the organ exists, goes through an informed consent process with the patient. The patient understand risks, benefits and alternatives. He/she should have the autonomy to choose for the bioprinted organs for him/herself I think that new guidelines do not have to...
 (Total 118 words)
Hello everyone! Thank you for your inputs and suggestions. Here is a link, as suggested: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/innovation/soon-doctor-print-human-organ-on-demand-180954951/?no-ist One of the issues I’ve posted is about safety of transplanting these synthetic organs. It would be difficult to make an evidence-based guideline on it because it has to be backed up by large-scale studies — this again poses an ethical dilemma for researchers. With regards to candidate selection, I agree th...
 (Total 113 words)
The thread starter should try to be clearer in what she is trying to discuss. It would be great if links to the specific discoveries are placed on the thread. I believe that the safety of the organs that are created should be evaluated based on the current guidelines (http://www.fda.gov/ForPatients/Approvals/Devices/ucm405378.htm) as a starter which have been used to guide medical device development. As for candidate selection, that will have to depend on the stage of development of a certain o...
 (Total 148 words)
I am completely amazed on what we are capable of nowadays. I find the idea of 3D bioprinting extraordinary. I was able to see in person with regular figurines but it was amazing none the less. For human transplantation I would think that we would need to have the same precautions as we would in inserting prosthetic valves and stents. For candidates I would think we should keep our old criteria for selecting regular transplant patients where the person with higher urgency moves up the list etc. I...
 (Total 145 words)