General

Herbal Supplements: To Use or Not to Use

Created by:

28 Jun 2016 - General

From our Pharmacology Class, I gathered that vitamin/herbal supplements are generally frowned upon. Supplements are only used if there are deficiencies in the diet, or as precaution for high risk groups. We even have a group of students who has made it their research paper to know the metal content, especially lead, of some of the leading supplements in our country. Although no reports have been given about adverse effects of these supplements, and good feedback were given from "testimonials" of these products, I understand that it is very hard to trust something which does not have years of study and clinical trials behind its back. So, my question for the health care professionals in others countries, what is your stand regarding these herbal/vitamin supplements?

Hi Tarah, "Bakit ka pa nagtatanong sakin, ayaw mo pala makinig." (Why did you ask me if you wouldn't even listen.)--- Oh I feel you there. The usually plight of the Filipino doctor. They took the root and come to you later when their condition doesn't improve or gets worse. I had patients replace their anti-hypertensive medications with garlic. So ya garlic would help but when you're blood pressure is in the 160s to 170s please take the medications I prescribed you. :( We n...
 (Total 117 words)
In the Philippines, a lot of patients resort to herbal supplements for cure. Since it had done wonders to their friends or a friend of a friend, even with no real journal study to back up, they assumed that it would the same for them as well. For me it is kind of frustrating that they would turn a deaf ear on you when you give an advice, especially that you have studied years to know the human body. In my head, I find myself sometimes saying "Bakit ka pa nagtatanong sakin, ayaw mo pala ma...
 (Total 183 words)
Hi Jennifer! I will as soon as it becomes available. Herbal Supplements are very popular here in the Philippines, and they featured four of the biggest herbal supplement brands in the country. They may have revised their original work as they contained the name of the brands and they were advised to censor the names because this may cause potential legal problems in the future. I think they have finished their work but publishing of school journals are quite hard her but I can send you a copy a...
 (Total 100 words)
Herbal supplementation is of course promising. We cannot turn a blind eye towards what they are capable of but we need to consider of course the lack of substantial clinical research to back them up. Though they have been used for many years we have to responsible prescribers as we need to know the actual possible side effects, adverse effects, drug interactions and the sort. As health care professionals we have the responsibility to care for our patients and do what is best for them. We just ne...
 (Total 139 words)
No allopathic doctor should be involved in the prescription of herbal based products. Although it is claimed by the manufacturers and promoters that these supplements have been rigorously tested in the human population, it is unethical for a doctor to prescribe something which is outside the scope of his knowledge. As far as vitamin supplements are concerned, I guess there is ample evidence to suggest that empirical addition of vitamins to the therapy is not beneficial. The real use of vitamins ...
 (Total 129 words)