General

Too Big for One, Too Big for All

Created by:

29 Jun 2016 - General

Hi! I just want to share our class' community project entitled "Too Big for One, Too Big for All". In our language, tubig means water. Along with the grassroots and leaders of the local community in our area, it has been identified that skin infections and diarrhea are two of the most prevalent illnesses in the community and the residents identified the unsafe water that they are using in their local well. With further laboratory examination, it was indeed confirmed that their water was very high in bacterial count. So, the community, with the help of UNILAB foundation and our class, have decided to make clay filters modelled after WHO's clay pot filter. With further testing, it has been proven that the clay filter significantly lowered the bacterial count in their water. This picture is our first clay filter making session with them. Working with the community for cleaner water has been fun!

The most common skin infections would be wound infections, furuncles and carbuncles. This may be due to a high coliform content found i their well water in the lab exam. Saris are not very common here, but I think the idea is a good one. It seems cost effective for areas where Saris are readily available. The Clay filter is feasible in our area because clay is very abundant and cheap, and the filters can again be broken, powederized, sterilized and be reused. Once the residents know how to do it...
 (Total 103 words)
Sounds really great, you must have great mentors to help you with the project. Just curious, what sorts of skin infections are we looking at? An interesting idea which you can try as well (or model after) would be one that is very familiar with many users of the MIMs community the Sari (http://mbio.asm.org/content/1/1/e00034-10.full, https://www.fic.nih.gov/News/GlobalHealthMatters/january-february-2015/Pages/nursing-cholera-sari-water-filter.aspx). Personally, I have not been to your part of ...
 (Total 99 words)
Hi Shunjie! Here's the ink from WHO's site. http://www.who.int/medical_devices/innovation/new_emerging_tech_44.pdf Ours is a modified version of it. I don't have the video for making the water filter but I will try to find it. We have recently conducted a medical/dermatological mission in the community and I can say it has been a success. The project is still ongoing though. The goals of decreasing the incidence of diarrhea and skin infection will be evaluated in the following month...
 (Total 102 words)
Thanks for sharing your story. Water is an essential element of life for humans and clean water is very important to boost the quality of life of the villagers. I have personally taken part in a similar projects to improve the provision of water by innovative pumping mechanisms and cost effective filters. I have personally not heard of the clay filter which have shared and feel that it would be great if you can share more about the filter(Links, pictures etc). Now that you have made the pump, I ...
 (Total 119 words)