General

Eye photography to diagnose dengue infection

Created by:

29 Jun 2016 - General

It seems a new technology using special camera to photograph the retinal blood vessels to analyze for signs of dengue infection has been developed. 

I'm curious as to why we would spend money developing this technology while we have a perfectly reliable one at hand. The dengue NS-1 antigen ELISA blood test is easily available, easy to interpret, gives rapid results, has high sensitivity and specificity. 

Perhaps, someone who has more knowledge in this field would care to comment? 

http://today.mims.com/topic/eye-photography-could-detect-dengue-infection?country=malaysia

With my limited exposure in Bio Innovation, I do not think that this specific eye photography will be a good diagnostic tool for dengue infection. Noted they based the technology on the finding of the characteristics blood vessels in 62 dengue patients and 127 healthy people from 2011 to 2012, the subjects may be too small for the study. And they didn’t show the sensitivity, specificity, positive predictive value, negative predictive value, the accuracy and precision of the test. This might pot...
 (Total 139 words)
The question I am thinking is, would it go beyond this initial study? (And hence would not result in the wastage of funds as suggested by the author) I think it is important for us to investigate the publication bias of the article when we review the article. It was picked up by the MIMs author after it has been published in Straits times which has a record of overstating the clinical impact of studies which has been done in Singapore. The article has been published in a lower impact journal su...
 (Total 121 words)
This kind of technology still needs to be studied by experts as to its sensitivity and specificity in detecting dengue infection. The present dengue tests that we have are reliable enough and are cost effective compared to this proposed technology. While this can be advantageous especially in the pediatric population since I assume that this is non-invasive and does not involve needle prick (painless), the downside would the the purchase amount and the cost of this kind of examination. So I woul...
 (Total 94 words)
Hmm the article mentions that this approach is cost effective and hopes to improve quality of life in developing countries yet it also says that the technology is bulky and expensive. Though then again it did say that it is not for commercial use just yet which may explain why it is expensive. I think that this idea was put out there due to wide spread use of mobile phones making it fast and easy to use. Then since it does not require blood sampling this would mean no need for tests that the pat...
 (Total 212 words)