General

Study Tips Anyone?

Created by:

29 Jun 2016 - General

Hi! I am going to be a third year medical student this school year and I was wondering if any of you have suggestions about studying. We have module exams every week and sometimes the enormity of the amount of information can be overwhelming. I was wondering if you guys have any suggestions about the following:

1. Any study apps that you would recommend? I personally have been using Adobe Reader for my notes and books as this allows me to make notes on pdf files, scribble on them and highlight them. I also have tried using 3D anatomy apps but I can't seem to find a more realistic one so far. I also use Khan Academy for reviewing basic chemistry and biology topics.

2. Any suggestions on staying awake during late nights? I am having a lot of challenge on this.

3. How did you manage to cover all topics for exams?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! :)

Staying awake during late nights. When I was still in Dentistry School and with a task to remember muscle IOA, blood tracings, etc the only thing that worked for me was a 1.5 bottle of Coca Cola and a large packet of chips. My dad (a military officer) would bring out a coffee and a jar of peanuts, but coffee did not work for me. What I am trying to say here is that you have to find the perfect solution to keeping awake that best suits your needs. Nowadays, a shot of espresso will keep me up all ...
 (Total 217 words)
Hi! Thanks for the tip everyone! Tarah: I also rely heavily on transcriptions. Our notes are pretty comprehensive but I can feel the difference when I am reading the book. I get selective when reading the book though so I still end up reading the transcriptions anyway. We have almost the same schedule. I sleep first, then I study at 1 or 2 am. I don’t drink any energy drinks or coffee so I just rely on panic and urgency as my motivation to study. Just kiddin. :) I try to do some exercise when I ...
 (Total 134 words)
Hi Leothel! When I was a medical student, I always go out to study. I don’t study in my bedroom because it’s very tempting to sleep. I usually go to coffee shops or a classmate’s house for a study session. I’m also very selective of what I read. To be able to select properly, I go back to the course syllabus and check the expected terminal competencies or the course objective. If its not included there, I don’t prioritize it. As a medical student, you have to be practical about what you can lear...
 (Total 133 words)
Hi! Based on my experience, I had always relied on transcriptions BUT it had always been because I was cramming. Books are always the best review materials. Don't memorize, read. Make sure that you understand each concept and visualize how the disease plays out in reality. I figured out it was easier to understand and memorize when you put it out like that. Second, you don't have to pull an all nighter everytime. Find the suited study time for you, do you prefer to sleep before you study...
 (Total 284 words)