General

Would fear of Zika Virus prevent you from travelling to Brazil for Olympic 2016??

Created by:

30 Jun 2016 - General

The summer 2016 OlympicsGame will held in Brazil in August this years. The once every 4 year event is one of the most important sport event around the world, and usually attarct a lot of tourists around the world to attend. However, the recent outbreak of Zika Virus in South Amrica, particularly in Brazil may potentially reduce the amount of tourists visiting Rio de Janeiro for the Olympic. 

Zika Virus, can be spread Aedes mosquitoes, causing Zika fever, usually cause mild and limiting symptoms. But, the danger of this virus is that it can spread from a pregnant mother to the fetus, causing microcephaly, brain malformation and other defect. 

A few famous Golfers like Rory McIlroy,Jason Day, Vijay Singh, Adam Scott, Marc Leishman, have pulls out from Rio Olympics due to the fear of Zika virus....

What are your opinion of traveling to Rio Olympics in coming August? Are those steps to prevent mosquito bites sufficient?

It is unfortunate that the Olympics at Rio De Janeiro is affected by the outbreak of Zika. I myself, coming from a place with very high numbers of Dengue especially this time around, I wouldn't be too concerned about Zika. Dengue is still the scarier sort carried by Aedes. At point or another I must have been bitten by a mosquito carrying Dengue and may have gotten a mild form myself. It is mainly about strengthening your immune system, drinking plenty of fluids and getting adequate rest sin...
 (Total 129 words)
Thanks I will. I do fear the crime rate and political instability more than Zika. Coming from a country with Dengue and Chikununya ( I hope i spell it right ), Zika is least of my concern. However, I receive a lot of queries from my patients on their travel plan. There is just so much fear out there that I am sure the Olympic turn out will be affected. However, the fact that some athletic participants declined to travel to Brazil may just give my country a chance on the podium in some events. I...
 (Total 113 words)
Yes, you are right, forgotten to mention the possibility of sexually transmission of Zika virus. It seem like you are well prepared to go to Rio Olympics 2016, with all the preventive measures in place. But, the outbreak of Zika virus did discourage some people or even the athletic participants to travel to Brazil. I would say just the “fear” of what if I am the unlucky 1. Most people do not wish to take unnecessary risk. I would predict the turn-out for coming Rio Olympics will not be promisin...
 (Total 112 words)
Just to add on to the point, Zika virus infection can be asymptomatic and can be sexually transmitted from an infected man to the spouse within 1-2 months of an inefction. First I am a man and I have no intention of having a child with my wife in the next 1 year.Hence, I will have no problem travelling to Brazil for Olympic 2016. While there is no issue on an individual level for me, I have to consider my community which is a reservoir for Aedes mosquitoes which is the vector for the virus. Wil...
 (Total 161 words)