General

How to Teach CPR to Children

Created by:

30 Jun 2016 - General

All adults should know how to administer cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR),  It can also be helpful for kids to know this as well. Although most children aren't strong enough to perform CPR until they are teenagers, it is a great idea to teach this important information to kids as young as 5 or 6--so that it will be ingrained in them by the time their bodies have grown up. Luckily, teaching CPR is as easy as ABC.

·         Teach your child about the basic workings of the cardiovascular and respiratory systems--e.g., that our organs need blood, which the heart pumps throughout the body. This will help them better understand the purposes and benefits of CPR.

·         Think of the ABCs. This is a simple way to remember how to perform CPR.
A stands for Airway. The first step in CPR is to make sure the person's airway is not blocked. Have your child open her mouth and look in the mirror to see the opening at the back. Tell her that this opening is how air gets into the lungs, and it needs to be clear.

·         Teach that B is for Breathing. The second step is to verify that the person is breathing. If the injured person is not breathing, then someone performing CPR would help him breathe by blowing air into his mouth. Have your child feel your chest and listen to your mouth as you breathe.

·         Teach that C is for Circulation. If the injured person's heart has stopped beating, then someone performing CPR would help the blood circulate by pushing on the injured person's chest--manually pumping the heart for him. Have your child listen to your heartbeat and feel your pulse.

·         Have your child repeat the steps aloud often and practice them on you or on a doll to help her remember these steps. Always remind her that CPR is for grown-ups to perform, and that she should call for help in an emergency.

I think it is important to teach a child how to do CPR. We all know that CPR should be given within at least 4 minutes to increase a person's chance of survival, and calling an ambulance would take more time than that. However, we also know that CPR can be very exhausting and for a cardiac massage to be effective, it has to be deep enough so that the rib cage would recoil. That amount of effort would be questionable for a child to accomplish, but I think when a child is at least 10 years old...
 (Total 155 words)
I will not want children to be performing CPR. While they can perform CPR, can they assess the need to CPR? I think I will rather ingrain in children the emergency number to dial of someone is to collapse and to seek help of people around if there is a collapse case. What if a child is so well trained in CPR that they decided they can save a life without alerting anyone? In addition, a child's lung capacity is lower than an adult's lung capacity, they won't be able to perform rescue...
 (Total 128 words)
Hi! A lot of factors com into play when it comes to ability to perform cpr. One thing is the child's udnerstanding of the procedure, why it needs to be done and his or her cpacity to perform chest compressions adequately. I found this observational study from National Center of for Biotechnology stating the age at which children can perform cor, meaning that they can reach the recommended depth for chest compressions (1.5 - 2 inches). Basically the study concluded that some children can perf...
 (Total 119 words)
Thanks for sharing. I would like to know the author could share on the benefits of training of cpr to children? Just playing devil’s advocate. I wonder what would the utility of having of having CPR ingrained in children.Physically, there would only be a minority of children who can sustain the depth of chest compressions at the required rate for the required number of cycles. In terms of giving them the spirit of CPR, I would personally prefer have children ingrain in themselves good diet habi...
 (Total 154 words)