General
Equipping doctors for 21st century healthcare

Equipping doctors for 21st century healthcare

Shared by:

Doctors aren’t trained in skills needed to practice effectively in today’s healthcare environment, says resident physician at Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Dr Dhruv Khullar.

today.mims.com

30 Jun 2016 - General

@Dr. Marinelle, I think with the advent of advancing technology, younger doctors do indeed have to be taught of resourcefulness and being intuitive. In my opinion, the problem with our fellow Filipinos in the rural area is the inculcated culture of healthcare that had been passed down from generations to generations. Medical beliefs that really had no scientific explanation and merely a made up logic to fit the symptomatology. The tough part is when people does not listen to a sound advice from ...
 (Total 93 words)
Dr. Amit, I agree with your comment. Expertise comes with experience, and not just expertise in knowledge, but in handling patients and different kinds of situations as well. It is actually rather good that medical students are already geared up with what they needed for hospital rotations and clerkship. Although again, nothing really beats experience. Older doctors do always remind us no to be dependent with the advancing technology and always feed ourselves with information and resourcefulness...
 (Total 77 words)
When I was a medical clerk, I learned about how social issues contribute to problems in health care through rotating as a junior physician in one of the provincial community health clinics. We were asked to stay there for three months. We held morning clinics and accomplished various projects in the afternoon (such as feeding programs and research). I remember visiting houses in a nearby village to survey the incidence of scrofuloderma. Despite the advent of modern medicine and the DOTS program...
 (Total 158 words)
When I was a student, more emphasis was laid on eliciting clinical signs and symptoms because investigations like CT scan and MRI were not readily available. However, the practice scenario has changed a lot in the last 15 years or so. In India, even second tier towns now have CT scan and MRI centres and the operation theatres have good lights,excellent cauteries and laparoscopy sets. However, this happens in the private sector.In the government sector, the situation is not so good, but it is not...
 (Total 183 words)
For the newly practicing doctors and for the doctors who had a lot of years of practice, what can you say about this? What are your observations regarding the performance of young doctors compared to when you were starting out with the practice? In the med school that I have graduated in, they try to inculcate recent technologies that would prepare medical students as early as on their 1st and 2nd year for their hospital rotations and practice. Although it is just on a dummy that can talk and ca...
 (Total 191 words)