General
Telemedicine: a new frontier

Telemedicine: a new frontier

Shared by:

With numerous inventions of modern man piling up, advancements in the field of medicine have also been taking several leaps forward. Now, you could see a patient by merely just powering up your phone.

today.mims.com

30 Jun 2016 - General

Telemedicine in the Philippines as what others have said may still have to take a while to flourish. A lot of things have to be considered. A law similar to the US HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act) must be mandated. If there is a Philippine law similar to this, then it must at least be revised to cover telemedicine practice. Training of personnel who will need to work on such practice will also be needed .As for nurses, familiarization with telephone triage and patient ...
 (Total 153 words)
Thanks for your response, Dr. Winter! I guess, for now, telemedicine here in the Philippines would really be limited only to those online forums and platforms. I just hope that telemedicine also gets the chance to be utilized to its full potential here and in other countries too, though currently this may just be a sort of ambitious ideal or hope especially with the economic conditions you mentioned. Anyway, I'm glad to know that probably this is a start too, and that there are doctors like...
 (Total 103 words)
Ma'am Laruan: regarding telemedicine for us in the Philippines I would think that an economic factor would play a big role in this. Seeing as yes the individuals located in the far flung rural areas are sometimes not even able to pay a jeepney fare to get to the hospital so we wouldn't expect them to have the money to pay for internet access. The telemedicine centers I have encountered that are in the U.S. are the ones that cater to people in the U.S. or just hire U.S. licensed doctors a...
 (Total 274 words)
Telemedicine is especially useful in remote, far-flung areas who do not have a physician available. Unfortunately, such areas here in Asia are mostly the rural areas that also do not have access to the internet and the proper facilities. Hopefully this kind of technology will soon be available in areas where they are needed most. When I taught about the topic of telemedicine to my Pharmacy students, I was only able to give examples of telemedicine centers that were in the US. As I think many of ...
 (Total 123 words)
I have always wondered about those "ask the physician" tabs on websites. At times, I was thinking that patients might be getting bad advice. Knowing that the questions falls onto the safe hands of Winter, I do not need to worry for the patients. Thanks for giving us a perspective on it. Is there anyone who can offer an insight into a medical consult which is similar to the traditional medical consult of having the clinician having a one-on-one consult with the patient? I was wondering ...
 (Total 98 words)
Oh yes defensive medicine is really necessary. The type of telemedicine work I have done is the asynchronous form or email based. Patients would send questions through an app or to the website where their questions would pool in a doctor's portal. These questions are only seen by the doctors working for the company and not by any other patients. The patients, before sending their questions, are given an extensive description on what type of service they would expect. This service does not in...
 (Total 291 words)
I think that telemedicine is indeed useful to help distant communities and to reduce the need for transport. But what I believe is that it would be difficult to attain a legal standard of care certain fields. There is few telemedicine legislation for now, but the ones in the states have often required the standard of care for telemedicine to be the same as one to one consultations. There is a need to attain physical findings from the patients. Outside of the dermatology, radiology ophthalmology,...
 (Total 145 words)
I have found telemedicine useful for patients who are distant areas where health care is not readily accessible. Patients would just simply inquire on the possibilities of what they may have and where they should go to get checked up. There are the individuals with simple medical questions. Instead of simply consulting a web search engine where the answers are easily given they would ask questions like "I was diagnosed with Diabetes and was prescribed Metformin. What is this for?" or &...
 (Total 109 words)
Telemedicine can be extremely useful in the fields of radiology and pathology where the consultant may be able to have a look at the images or slides from a remote area and give an accurate diagnosis without having to go and examine the patient, neither does the patient have to travel to the consultant. In all areas where person-to-person interaction is the key to good diagnosis, telemedicine may fall short. It is, of course, like a boon when people in remote areas or distant countries are able ...
 (Total 147 words)
While telemedicine cannot fully replace a conventional consultation, it does have a place in management of stable chronic diseases and simple acute conditions in well informed and educated patients. For example, patients on regular follow up for hypertension can be consulted offsite on his home BP and potential side effects from his medication . If the consulting physician has some concern, he can request for the patient to make a trip down for further examination. Even stable DM patient with a ...
 (Total 108 words)
Telemedicine is defined as the remote diagnosis and treatment of patients by means of telecommunications technology. I was very skeptical before engaging in this field as I strongly felt traditional. I knew that I had to embrace technology and see the advantages of the use of telemedicine. I do still strongly believe that telemedicine consults cannot replace a regular face to face physical consultation. There are many aspects of the person that we would miss through telemedicine due to not being...
 (Total 108 words)