General

Post-traumatic seizure prophylaxis

Created by:

30 Jun 2016 - General

According to the Brain Trauma Foundation and American Academy of Neurology, for patients with severe traumatic brain injury, post-traumatic seizure prophylaxis is only recommended during the first week after the injury. Among the anti-epileptics, phenytoin has been most extensively studied for this purpose. Studies on Leviteracetam showed comparable efficacy to phenytoin for early post-traumatic seizure prophylaxis. Personally, most of my senior consultants prescribe leviteracetam for post-traumatic seizure prophylaxis. But they vary in the length of time that they administer this. Medication. Some strictly follow the one week recommendation. Some give it during the entire hospital stay, even up to discharge. Some give it for two weeks. What is your most prescribed anti-convulsant for post-traumatic prophylaxis and how long do you give it?

Hi Kirti! I was talking about post-traumatic seizure prophylaxis for patients with brain trauma presenting with a post-resuscitation GCS score of 3 to 8. As far as I’m concerned, for neonatal birth-related injuries, I have never encountered a guideline for birth-related injury seizure prophylaxis. Because of the open fontanelles in the newborn’s cranial vault, the newborn cranium becomes more compliant to birth injuries. Commonly, the neonatal cranium temporarily molds depending on the length of...
 (Total 107 words)