General

Tips for the Rainy Season

Created by:

1 Jul 2016 - General

For some countries, the summer season has only begun. But for some, it is already finished! There are a lot of risks that wet weather poses, including a higher risk for injuries and communicable diseases. Raining or not, these tips can help prevent mishaps when the rainy season comes.

1. Always bring your umbrella. This is a no-brainer, since sudden rain can happen, and being damp or soaked can make you cold and more susceptible to acquiring colds. In some countries where it is culturally acceptable to use umbrella in the sun, you can double up using this as a sun shield when it's not raining.

2. Speaking of colds, rainy season is synonymous to colds season. Always wash your hands for prevention. Avid touching your face. Boost up your immune system by eating right, drinking a lot of water and exercising. When you are having colds yourself, prevent it­­­s spread by always covering your mouth when you cough and, if possible, do not shake hands.

3. Be safety conscious. Wear water proof shoes since dirty water can accumulate in the streets and in tropical countries, leptospirosis is only one of the many you do not want to catch from flood water. Also wear shoes that have a lot of traction to prevent any falls. Be careful when walking with wet shoes, and if possible, save the high heels for dryer weather.

4. Dengue and other mosquito borne diseases is expected to rise during this season. Keep your surrounding clean by covering up stored water in your homes and preventing stagnant water to build up as they will serve as breeding sites if left unchecked. Use mosquito repellants and protective clothing. 

5. Lastly, drive safely! Heavy rain can affect visibility, so being extra careful by reducing speed on the road helps prevent any accidents.

Be safe and healthy everyone!

Yes, dengue is endemic in our country too. A lot has been done but it seems to not just go away. We have numerous programs in the government but still, cases rise during this season. The insecticide treated mosquito nets Shunjie mentioned might help, and I have seen our Department of Health use insecticide treated screens in schools. Health education of the general public is the major key factor, but sometimes it's just not enough. In selected areas, the government install home-grown ovi-lar...
 (Total 101 words)
Hi Leothel. Thank you for the valuable tips. I can relate to most of the points you brought up. An umbrella is a must have with you at all times, and there have been many times I've had to drive back home because I left my umbrella at home. Dengue and leptospirosis were the two major diseases my former workplace, an infectious diseases hospital, were getting more and more patients with during the rainy season. The health sector continuously put a massive effort to control the breeding sites ...
 (Total 102 words)