General

Heptral for fatty liver

Created by:

2 Jul 2016 - General

Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) is rapidly becoming the most common liver disease worldwide. The prevalence of NAFLD in the general population of Western countries is 20-30% (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20460905). Considering that fatty liver/NAFLD can cause raised liver enzymes, cirrhosis, liver failure and hepatocellular carcinoma, it is a growing lifestyle disease.

However, despite advice on lifestyle changes such as exercise and diet, some patients have problems changing their lifestyle, for various reasons. I see some colleagues prescribing heptral as a hepatoprotective agent. Do any of you do this, or come across any good articles regarding heptral?

Thanks for the advice everyone. Yes, i totally agree that diet and exercise should be the cornerstone of management, coupled with 6 monthly bloods and yearly u/s to monitor for the complications of cirrhosis and HCC. However, it is tempting to consider whether pills (so easy to just pop) can solve problems as such. There will always be patients who cannot change their lifestyles and would like medication for their conditions. I will definitely reinforce the importance of lifestyle changes to pat...
 (Total 150 words)
Weight loss and diet controlled are the main treatment strategy for non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. It is easy and free to prescribe such management option, but is it always work?? Will patient compliance be good?? I came across a lot of NAFLD patients who told me that “Ah, my weight is just good for me”, “I have a healthy diet, will only drink diet coke”. Again, clinical dietician will have a role in this management plan. Weight loss and diet is a simple but NOT the easy treatment option. I ...
 (Total 131 words)
Well, at present there is not enough evidence to recommend the routine use of this kind of drug in patients with NAFLD and NASH. Under the premise of basic treatment, liver-protective and anti-inflammatory drugs could be used as adjunctive therapy mainly for the following conditions: (i) patients with NASH confirmed by liver histology; (ii) patients with significant liver injury or advanced hepatic fibrosis, or both, as shown by clinical features, laboratory findings and imaging examination, e....
 (Total 188 words)
Hi Winnie, non-alcoholic fatty lover disease (NAFLD) is predicted to be 1 of most common cause for liver cirrhosis in the future. With the rising prevalence of obesity, type 2 Diabetes, hyperlipidemia, metabolic syndrome, the prevalence of NAFLD will be increasing as well. Lifestyle intervention of exercise and diet regimen to lose weight, is the only therapeutic management with reasonable evidence for NAFLD. Optimization of Diabetes and Hypercholesterolemia control are important as well. S...
 (Total 157 words)
Heptral is a drug that contains Ademetionine as its active ingredient. Heptral is proven to be effective in treatment of alcoholic liver disease, non alcoholic liver disease, drug induced hepatitis and infective diseases of the liver such as hepatitis C. According to research, the use of heptral has successfully lead to normalization of the liver enzyme levels, reduction of signs and symptoms of intrahepatic cholestasis and a significant improvement in the morbidity and mortality from liver di...
 (Total 110 words)