General

Your thoughts on insurance

Created by:

3 Jul 2016 - General

Recently, I received a news from family back home that my Dad's creatinine levels are above its normal range. He was prescribed by his doctor Sodium Bicarb and would come back again in few weeks time to see if there's any improvement. 

Upon knowing this, it made me think of the worse that may happen. If his kidneys fail to function, that would mean dialysis. And with dialysis comes expenses. Now, I realised that a health insurance may be beneficial.

To those who has got experience with insurance, is it still worth applying at this stage for my dad? 

And would you spend some amount of your income to pay for health or even life insurance or is this just a waste of money? 

Hi Kathleen, as far as I know almost all dialysis patients that I have encountered availed of this card because of the privileges that it offers. In preparation, you may consider asking your father's physician if he is eligible to avail of this card (in case he would need dialysis). If he doesn't need renal replacement therapy, he might not be eligible for a PWD card unless he has an obvious disability. Usually, patients who undergo dialysis use a wheelchair because of mobility impairmen...
 (Total 90 words)
Hi Marinelle, why do you think he would be eligible for a Person with Disabilities card? What are the requirements for him to be eligible? Because as far as I know, he has not got any physical disabilities that could make him eligible for it. At the moment, he is a lifetime member of Philhealth already, a senior citizen which he has got a senior citizen card already which enables hime to avail discounts. As for PWD, I'm really not sure how he can be eligible. Your reply is very much apprecia...
 (Total 107 words)
Yes Dr. Winter, I have thought of that as well, "Person with Disabilities". But, I am not sure how it could be applicable to someone undergoing dialysis or with kidney failure. Let us just wait for Marinelle to reply, I'm sure she will be happy to explain it further to us. I have to stop checking on MIMS community now as I am just off to work myself and looking forward to what the day brings, one thing is for sure, it is more learning for me. And as for you Dr. Winter, hope you ar...
 (Total 119 words)
Hello Marinelle, what is a PWD card and how can you avail it? It's good to know that with Philhealth comes/ covers certain number of dialysis sessions. Again, just to say, my father isn't diagnosed of kidney failure yet but his creatinine levels are elevated than normal and maybe I am being a pessimist for thinking that it may end up with dialysis in the future so I am just preparing myself and the family as well. But still, I pray that his creatinine levels will revert back to normal, a...
 (Total 107 words)
PhilHealth, if I am not mistaken, takes off at least 20% of the total hospital bill. There are also package cases which would be almost completely covered. Have your family look for extra insurance for him like any form of private insurance. I have had patients who had both private insurance (like Maxicare or Intellicare or the sort. I am not an endorser or am I doctor working for any of the two private insurances. These are just the common ones I have seen) and philhealth and would leave the ho...
 (Total 143 words)
To Winnie and Jennifer: As for my father's case, it was caused by the herbal medication that he took few years ago according to his doctor. And yes, I do earnestly pray that the levels go back to normal. To Dr. Winter, yes I am and my father himself pays for Philhealth, how much help would that be? I have to check with my brother as well to make sure he has got him down as dependent. With this recent experience, I am no longer thinking twice getting life insurance for myself and my own famil...
 (Total 113 words)
I always encourage patients and even friends to get health insurance. Even if you are a healthy individual you would never know when something may happen to you. In the case of your dad applying for healthy insurance may be tough as he already has an existing disease. If you have any siblings here in the Philippines (sorry I am presuming you are from here given your family name) who have insurance like Philhealth have them list him as their dependent. Health insurance will take out an enormous, ...
 (Total 128 words)
Yes, Kathleen, an elevated Creatinine level at a specific point in time does not imply end stage renal failure or a need for dialysis. Hopefully it is just dehydration or just a temporary side effect of drugs. Hopefully it goes back to normal and he has a clean bill of health and can get a better coverage of insurance. I think this is a good reminder to stay up to date with insurance policies. However, when picking an insurance company, it is good to also ask around which companies have good pra...
 (Total 134 words)
My father passed away last year from the complications of ERD (as complicated by prolonged Hypertension and Diabetes). The whole stretch of going in and out of the hospital started July of last year and ended in October—all of it was unexpected, but all as a consequence of my dad being in denial. In denial about a lot of things too, so my father did not have insurance (life, health, etc); but he got help through other means. He was a lifetime Philhealth and it came with limited dialysis and hosp...
 (Total 268 words)
To Aaron: Thank you for a very well written response. I am hoping and praying that his creatinine level would revert back to normal so I can actually purchase a reasonable insurance for him. I have actually started looking and have asked for a quotation from a family friend but haven't had an update yet. I will keep you updated, in case you want to know what happens in this journey. To Shunjie: Yes, that's what I thought. It could be very expensive. By the way, my dad hasn't got End ...
 (Total 138 words)
Thanks for sharing your story Cathleen. Sad to hear that your father is suffering from end stage renal failure. From what I understand from your story, I think it will be either impossible or quite expensive to purchase insurance to cover for your dad’s conditions. This is because most insurance I know of would not offer coverage for pre-existing illnesses. As for the need of insurance, it will depend on an individual’s own values and how much you value your own life and health. If one is a homo...
 (Total 107 words)
To someone thinking about getting health insurance or any type of life related insurance, factors that are always considered are the insured person's age, sex, income and state of health. If you are considering getting insurance the rule is the earlier the better and healthier and younger the best, if your father's health status deteriorates insurance companies will definitely raise his premium which will either make his coverage insufficient to cover treatment costs at worst they will n...
 (Total 211 words)