General

Do you watch hospital drama on television?

Created by:

3 Jul 2016 - General

I am obsessed with television series like ER, House and until this day I've followed Greys Anatomy which is now on its 12th season. I've always wanted to be a doctor. I've fantasized about working in a busy hospital. Instead, I am in my private practice. Actually, I sometimes still think of pursuing Surgery so I could work in the hospital and be in scrubs; but maybe that wont happen anymore, so I'll just stick to my dramas. 

Do you watch hospital drama in TV? I am obsessed with these shows but how close is it to depicting the daily realities of hospital life? 

Here is my more detailed take on medical dramas in this article "The Reality of Medical Dramas" http://today.mims.com/topic/the-reality-of-medical-dramas?country=philippines Totally love medical dramas, despite experiencing my own share of “medical dramas", but we all know on how they tend to stray away from reality. Despite being well researched and even produced by doctors the need to "hollywoodize" everything is apparently necessary. You know how you read this really ...
 (Total 161 words)
Hi everyone! I also like watching medical-related TV series. So far I watched a lot of House, Grey’s Anatomy series, a few episodes of Scrubs. Even if their medical and surgical knowledge are quite exaggerated and unrealistic, I still find these medical dramas compelling and stimulating to watch. Sadly, I was unable to finish House and Grey’s anatomy. I was too sad that Derek died! Is it still any good even if Derek’s gone? Anyway, there’s this relatively new Korean drama that involves a doctor ...
 (Total 124 words)
Yes Jennifer and Tarah... all the drama for the viewers. I get you Jennifer about defibrillating someone who is asystole. I guess at some point viewers should accept that tv is not reality. But yeah, I'm sure a lot of people reference their own illnesses with successes and breakthroughs seen on such shows. Now Tarah, props to Meredith really. But you know that of all the losses, I pained the most of Lexie and Sloan. I wanted a perfect happy ending for them. That unforgettable scene: "Te...
 (Total 95 words)
I enjoy watching medical dramas. There are mistakes and they would overly dramatize things but that's television for you. You have to cater to the majority of the watchers who are usually not health care professionals. I do hate it though when they defribillate someone who is asystole. Just imagine having a real life patient in this situation and the family sees you not defibrillating and they start complaining that you didn't do everything (since they saw it that way on television and t...
 (Total 207 words)
I used to watch Grey's Anatomy, because cases were interesting. What I can't imagine is the amount of stress these doctors had gone through, all the drama and deaths. I'm a #CalZona fan, and it stressed me out when they fight and make up and fight then break up. Yang left, Sloan and Lexie were both dead, people are either breaking up or ending dead. If I was Meredith Grey, I would've gone crazy by now. The fact that most of the people I loved and know are dead or had left. Add th...
 (Total 140 words)
I too sometime watch such shows which seem quite interesting and most of the times comedy. Mostly the shows consists of drama with least accuracy. The shows end up in something which is quite uncommon in medical profession. Though they try to portray the medical profession at their best but lack of background research and inadequate knowledge about the profession sometimes results in misleading the public. Moreover, trying to make the shows more entertaining, they include various things which ...
 (Total 89 words)
I do enjoy medical-themed shows on TV, particularly the ones which does have a fine balance of medical content and human drama. It's great that medical-themed shows span a wide variety of genres from comedy (e.g. Scrubs) to romance (e.g. the latest korean hit - Descendents of the Sun) to human politics (e.g. Japan's The White Tower). Though to the healthcare professionals I know, most hospital dramas are comedies to them. My aunt (a nurse in the paediatrics ward) frequently bursts out l...
 (Total 142 words)