General

Paranormal Activity: When Doctors Become Ghostbusters

Created by:

3 Jul 2016 - General

"If there's something strange in your neighbourhood...who ya gonna call? Ghostbusters!"

We studied the anatomy and physiology of the humna body, the arts of healing, the pathology of diseases and more. We are scientists. Despite being men and women of science paranormal activity would circulate in our work places. Stories about cadavers leaving the morgue, doors creaking open with no one there to open them and sounds of babies crying in empty wards. I have heard endless stories themed around the examples I have given in the different hospitals I have rotated in. The mind plays tricks on us all. 

Attached is an article talking futher on paranormal activity and possible explanations.

What stories circulated around your work place? What are your explainations on "paranormal activity"?

Who has heard the story in the article about the dead patient riding in an elevator with the doctor?

http://today.mims.com/topic/paranormal-activity--when-doctors-become-ghostbusters?country=philippines

It is interesting with that story about the batang may pulang bola/ child with a red ball as it is an image I feel I have encountered somewhere before. I have not heard of that story in our setting here in the Philippines but it seems to be a popular image. I wonder what the red ball represents. I feel that it is not just some random lost soul but something with significance. I have heard of patients staying a particular hospital room and encountering some child laughing or playing (the one I re...
 (Total 110 words)
This was not a personal experience, but there is this very iconic persona in our hospital, called "Batang May Pulang Bola" (child with a red ball) who allegedly show up just before a patient dies. It doesn't necessarily have to be the patient who can see the child, but another patient from another building or the bed next to the dying patient. I do believe in this, because various patients had accounted on seeing the child with the red ball and we know that that patient is going to...
 (Total 163 words)
Hospital ghost stories are so classic! This actually made my clerkship and internship quite fun. I remember hanging out in the intern’s lounge, sharing scary stories with my co-interns, we were in the middle of a scary story about a “white lady” in the hospital, when the lights suddenly flickered and the phone rang. Nobody wanted to answer the phone because everyone’s scared. When I finally stood up and answered the call, nobody was talking on the other line…. It was kind of creepy. So, since a...
 (Total 136 words)
Dr. Inserto: Hehe sorry about that. Like you I haven't had any paranormal experiences. Then again I may be behaving completely "skeleton key" where only when you believe that is when they can get you. I have heard many stories from colleagues and other hospital staff and most are in the palliative ward. The ER I guess is too busy for you to have these experiences as your mind is preoccupied with all the work needed. Though during the late hours when the beds are empty and no patien...
 (Total 96 words)
Oh... you're giving me the creeps! Outside my own practice, I work at a small multi-specialty clinic in a mall and being the only one of that kind there, patients who collapse, get shot (robbery-related), get a heart attack in said mall get rushed to us. Some are saved, but some are lost. The Dental Department is just ONE wall away from the room that hold these patients before they are picked up. I have no personal experience, but I’ve heard people’s stories and they’re really scary. I don...
 (Total 132 words)
I agree especially patients who are mentally challenged either due to a medical condition or a shoet term effect of a drug. It would be difficult to question what they saw, felt or heard as some things are real to them.even when it's not. And yes, with your role, I think you really have to put up a straight face all the time even if you, yourself is already affected by the strange happenings. I am just glad that I don't have to do any night shift in my current role. But then, things coul...
 (Total 101 words)
Now that it's morning and the sun is up on my side of the world, I read the full article. I am not the brave type and would easily get scared so apologies if I have to delay it a little. As the article has mentioned, some of the paranormal events has got logical explanations and it is ourselves who sometimes give meaning to anything happening around us, especially on dark, chilly nights. Also, I salute those who work in the morgue. I don't know how they do it, going in and out of that ro...
 (Total 103 words)
Paranormal activity/ ghost stories are very common in our field. Being surrounded by death and dying it is no wonder why these many stories circulate. With the stress and added anxiety that accompanies out work even the most rational individual may experience such activities. I did post this topic near midnight or maybe I should've posted it at 3AM also known as the devil's hour :) I suggest you have a look at it during the day when you are free from the setting of darkness which would t...
 (Total 94 words)
I don't want to click on the link and read the full article yet as it's nearly midnight where I am and got nobody else with me except for my sleeping baby. But in response to your post, I've heard some stories from my colleagues who normally work nights in a care home where I used to work. They've seen somebody moving from one room to another when in fact, nobody is in that room and a sight of coffin in one of the corridors. There is this particular spot in that home where it goe...
 (Total 132 words)