General
Notorious office ‘cake culture’ blamed in part for tooth decay, obesity

Notorious office ‘cake culture’ blamed in part for tooth decay, obesity

Shared by:

Bringing doughnuts, cupcakes, and biscuits to work might do more harm than good. According to a group of Britain-based dentists, the office is where most people consume sugary treats, directly contributing to tooth decay and weight gain.

today.mims.com

4 Jul 2016 - General

Yes Winnie, I agree with you. The people around us really affect our habits too. When I was living alone, I stored-up on healthy snacks. It was difficult when I went back home to my parents where junk food and food (of all kinds) was abundant. It was hard to ignore. Same thing when I started working outside of my practice. It's something to be snacking on your own and another to have "companions" when you eat--it's double the fun. Ultimately, we just have to be accountable for ...
 (Total 95 words)
This is so very relevant. Sometimes the habits of those around us, such as our family, colleagues and friends can influence our habits greatly too. A study that was published in the NEJM (http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMsa066082#t=article) showed that the spread of obesity and unhealthy habits amongst one's social circle and social network. I too have a sweet tooth and have needed to make a lot of effort to control my craving for sweet food. Visiting the dentist regularly to monitor...
 (Total 96 words)
Abandoning the cake culture is not going to be easy. Snacking healthily is not easy to do; but where one’s well-being is concerned, making healthy choices really is important. You are what you eat, and eventually, all your life choices will take a toll on you. I know that well because my father suffered from hypertension, diabetes and eventually kidney disease. A cascading effect brought about by bad choices. Now in terms of dental caries, I have a confession: I have a sweet tooth. A dentist w...
 (Total 197 words)